Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dripping oil - Ninja 650L

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by spectre8491, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Hi guys,

Just wanted to ask a quick question, just bought a new Ninja 650L, and was having a look at it today and noticed that there seems to be a bit of a leak on the nut on the oil sump.

I've tried tightening up a bit more as I figured it may have come a bit loose due to riding/vibration as it is a new bike, but still has a little bit of a drip. It doesn't look like its leaking very much at all so I'm not too worried just yet, but thought it was worth asking about.

So just wondering if there is anything else I should be looking out for, or is this something that is reasonably common with new bikes?

Regards,

Dave

2. It might have had a washer that was left out. If it's new then take it back and let where you bought it from deal with it under warranty.

3. as above, washer missing?

4. If it is new it shouldn't leak. Whao cares what is causing it . Take it back.

5. ^^^ yep, not your problem to deal with and any tinkering you do could risk voiding warranty

6. Get yourself a new "crush seal". It's a washer made of a slightly soft metal that "crushes" as you tighten it, creating a good seal. Most bike shops with a service dept sell them.

Also, try and use a torque wrench. I've experienced having to replace an oil pan because some twat overtightened my sump bolt and damaged the thread.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks for all the replies, seems that giving the bolt a little bit of a tighten has fixed the issue, it's going in for 1k service shortly so will mention it to them when I take it in, until then I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks again,

Dave