Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Drinking the good stuff...need advice.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by I Adore Vic, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Hey all,

Last night I kind of splurged and bought myself a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue Label scotch whiskey. I'd like to give some reason as to why I purchased such an expensive bottle of grog - but there is no reason...I simply saw it in the cabinet, asked the guy what was so good about it to warrant its price and after hearing him go on a bit about how good it is etc etc I thought WTF and bought it.

Now, I'm no connoisseur of alcohol. My drinking life began the usual way with the Stone's green ginger wine, port and Fruity Lexia. I then tried out the vodka for a while and then some other stuff such as Jim Beam and Ouzo before settling on the Bundy.

Apart from a couple of good wines and those delicious CS cowboys....I know little else about alcohol.

So can someone tell me....how best do I drink this whiskey? The guy at the shop said 'on the rocks' and I nodded and said mmhmm. But...what is on the rocks? Is it chilled with ice?

Any tips appreciated. :)

2. Yep, on the rocks is over ice :)

The Best way to Serve
    An excellent and simple way to appreciate Blue Labelâ„¢ Scotch Whisky is to drink it neat from a brandy glass, or similar, with a separate glass of iced mineral water. Drinking the iced water first refreshes the mouth and allows a small amount of water to combine with the whisky on the palette. The rare whiskies in Blue Labelâ„¢ are best appreciated at full strength.

But if you prefer it on the rocks, go for it.
  3. Brandy glass hey? I always thought tumbler would be best for whisky. Might give that a go next time I pour a glass... can one put ice in the brandy glass? or should it be served neat only? I don't have blue label, but I likes my Dalwhinnie.
  4. On the JW website I listed above they suggest drinking it neat, but I suggest you try it both ways and see how you prefer it, afterall, it's your drink, have it how ever you like it best. :)
  5. Quick quiz - does anyone remember where this comment came from?

Lets see if anyone can remember the film :grin:
  6. Rosie, Ya man at the bootlo is right on the money, please listen to him and Caz and DON'T pollute it with anything but water.

Me personally I prefer Irish Whisky, preferably Bushmills smoother on the throat than Scotch neat ..
  7. Thanks all. That website link is great Caz...I didn't realise the stuff I got is the BEST they have to offer. :grin: :grin: :grin: Very happy about that. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Will drink it neat...with the glass of iced mineral water nearby. Plan on having 'some' tonight. ;)

evilooliver - I have no idea but I have heard it. :)

Cheers all :)

8. Yeah its "The Big Sleep", was wondering if anyone recognised it. Ahhh nevermind :)

Good luck with the whisky :grin:
  9. Agree - neat, no mixer (especially Coke, but some like it that way), usually can't go wrong with single malt whiskies and more expensive brands when you can afford them. Teachers, Glenfiddich, The Glenlivet are faves, there's heaps out there. Enjoy!

And Evilooliver, like your sig - especially if you own a Triumph or older Harley, that is so true :)
  10. Mix it with coke, put it in your mouth, shake it all up and swallow, repeat as fast as you can :D
  11. The only other advice I can give you Rosie is......
    drink it with friends :p

And how was your head this morning? :LOL:
  12. Blue Label???
    They'd have to be pretty friggin' special friends.

I like my scotch and whiskey on the rocks.
    Prefer single malts but the more expensive blends are also good.

Anything with ">12 years" and "Glen[something]" on the label that costs more than $50/bottle is going to be pretty good.

Having experienced a decent variety of whiskey's [friend of mine is on his way to becoming quite the expert] I can safely say Blue Label is one of the nicest I've had.
    So smooth.

I drank mine neat and it was gorgeous.

So: on it's own or with ice. I reckon.
  13. I have a Scottish friend and he tells me that freshly trapped feral hagis is best washed down with a wee dram of Glen Campbell on the rocks. He's normally had a few by then though :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  14. I don't think I could mix it with coke....(would defeat the purpose :) )

Ah Caz...two glasses was enough for me. My intentions were to have more, but when it came to the crunch I just couldn't be bothered. Meh - some alcoholic I'd make.

The taste is going to take some getting used to, mainly because I've never really drank a spirit straight before...except for vodka (which I'm loathe to mix with anything) and that one time we had a bottle of bundy and ran out of coke. :)
  15. Hi pretty nice drop.

I enjoy drinking this kind of gear with distilled or bottled water, the chlorine in our tap water destroys it. Oh and some nice music, jazz etc goes well as well. :music:

The other tip of course is that 80% of our taste sensation is actually smell, so this is why a wide top glass is critical. Some people prefer it neat and warmed up in the hand [hence why we need a brandy glass]. :beer:

have fun and do not mix it with coke :evil:
  16. I had a bottle of Glen Campbell - granted I think it was an 8yr bottle instead of their 14yr effort, but I wasn't a fan at all.
    Only by the grace of coke, was I able to finish that stuff...