Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Drilling Pipes

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by Jay77, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Ok ok, this maybe a stupid idea, but thats why I am asking you lot.
    Some time in the near future I want some new pipes for my XVS 650. Preferably V&H Staggered short stacks in black, but for the life of me I cannot find a Australian stockist of the 'black' range.
    So, while looking through youtube, I found a lot of XVS650 riders have drilled through the baffles on their pipes.
    My question is, is it worth doing? Or should I wait till I find the ones I want?

2. Depends on what you want. Drilling them will make more noise, not more power, reduce resale value and be a pain in the butt if you get an EPA noise complaint and have to buy another pipe to pass inspection. If you buy accessory pipes you can always put the standard ones back for rego check/resale.

3. IMO short cuts only lead to a longer road. Do it right, do it once.

4. What's this "drill" that people are talking about. The approved way to remove baffles is with a lump hammer and granny's poker. This being 2011 and Australia you can use star-picket if you really must :wink:.

5. Yeah your right, dunno what I was thinking. Thanks for your replies folks.
    Now, if I could only find a Australian stockist for V&H Black pipes for a XVS.
    ](*,)

6. Oh I remember the days,