Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Drama switching bikes for the day

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by hongyi77, Nov 29, 2012.

1. I dropped my beloved VTR off for service today and they gave me a loan bike, an old CB250, one I know well because I did my Qride there. I cannot believe what a POS it is! The clutch is a ton of bricks, gear lever doesn't click properly and took me a while to be comfy revving its nuts off.

I have gotten so used to how I sit in my bike that I have customised to fit me so well that riding another bike is so alien and feels like I can't ride for shit. After a few dramas on Ipswich road traffic, I got used to the shittiness of the bike.

But when I got my VTR back, it feels foreign for a while! I really don't know how people have a few bikes, how do you manage the switcheroo? Is there a routine you go through to familiarise yourself with a bike you are riding if you are switching from another one?

2. *shrugs* ride it....i definately noticed the difference between the touring type position of the zzr and the boy racer position of the zxr and it was a learning curve at first but after two or three turns on both you develop a understanding for how to treat each bike in it's own right and will therefore ride accordingly from there on in.
  3. Most people own what they like and want - if the lend bike isnt something you would have bought, then you probably won't enjoy riding it.
  4. Well, it's like when you have gone the gay way and you switch partners several times a week, somehow you just get by and manage; I really think motorcycling and gay men have a lot in common, always changing partners/bikes. If gay guys can do it, bikers can do it even if they aren't also gay guy bikers.

But I digress. The controls are all in the same place or almost the same place. The training you had to pass your test should be adequate that you can ride any bike on the road to a reasonable standard.

Whenever I drop my bike for a service, if they don't have anything interesting I want to try out I ask for a 125cc scooter. I enjoy trying out something low stress and lightweight.
  5. W.T.F

need more :boobies: :boobies::boobies::boobies:
  6. This went downhill quickly!
  7. Part of the reason that it is so rubbish is because it is a loaner and gets treated as such.

But you have a bike, better than walking so....
  8. It's not that bad given controls are more or less standardised now.

Try riding a bike with the shift lever on the right and then see if you still think it's that bad ;).
  9. o_O
    That's the NR understatement of the year...
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I understand what your saying but the guy who taught me to ride owns a shop and everytime I go in he wants me to try out a different bike. He says the more types and styles of bikes you ride the better a rider you will be. It always takes a little bit to get the gist of a different bike, you may hate it, but you will certainly appreciate your own bike when you get it back. :)
  11. I have a Bandit 1200 my wife has an SV650s. About the only things these bikes have in common is that they are both motorcycles and they are both Suzuki's.

It takes me a couple of K's to get used to the SV and if I've ridden it for a while it takes a few K's to get used to the Bandit. It's the riding position that get me the most.

But the trick is to take it easy until you are familiar with it.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. It does indeed feel foreign for a little while. I had exactly the same thing - Owned a VTR250 but did my restricted-licence test on their CB250. Very different 'feels'.

I forget which study identified this... I think it was the Aussie one comparing crashes which occurred at a speed faster than the speed limit vs crashes written down with "Excessive Speed" as a factor. Anyhow. The study identified that a remarkably high percentage ("17%" comes to mind?) of single-vehicle motorcycle crashes involve the rider being on a bike they don't own. i.e. swapped bikes with a mate, on a loaner bike or perhaps riding a stolen bike. "Type differences" are also a factor in some airplane crashes; i.e. pilot is unfamiliar with the control layout, performance envelope and operating procedures of the aircraft they are in.

I notice it when I swap from my bicycle to my Tiger and back, or even just changing between the normal-height sports seat of the Tiger and the taller gel seat for touring. The 30mm higher seat makes a massive change to handling.

As others have said, I just take it easy until it feels natural and familiar again.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Yeah pretty normal thing, happens with cars too, e.g. when i go from my MT subaru to my dads auto merc, constantly putting the wipers on and trying to activate the non existent clutch.

I find going from a full fairing to a naked very strange indeed.
    Shit when i last got my bike serviced and got new rubber put on (my old rubber was down to the belts are extremely square) it felt so fcuking weird i didnt know if i even could ride it again, but after an hour it felt perfect.

just take it easy till you adjust.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. I once sat in a car when the driver tried to use the non-existant clutch. He got the brake instead. Yep, it surely woke everyone in the car up :D
  15. My previous car was the first automatic I'd ever owned, and I hadn't driven autos much before that. A few days after I bought it I went to overtake a caravan on a country road. Without really thinking, I put the clutch in, changed down a gear and floored the accelerator. By which I mean I slammed on the brake, put the transmission into neutral and revved the tits off the engine.
  16. For me it can be more awkward riding or driving my own machines if something has changed (seat position in a car or gear lever on a bike etc) than it is riding or driving something different.
    Suppose I get really used to my own setup but with other machines I adapt easier. I'm anal if anyone moves anything with my own machines.
  17. Confidence is a funny thing. Maybe you need to buy more bikes more often
    • Like Like x 2
  18. best...advice...Ever.
  19. Thinking about it, the hardest transition for me is driving a car. I rarely drive, but when I do sitting behind the steering wheel feels very foreign and so very wrong. Afterwards I feel kind of dirty. I don't know how people do it all the time.