Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dragging feet.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by jirf88, Aug 2, 2009.

1. And not in the always late way. It has to do with cornering technique. (I know I know, but its different, I promise)

I've been practising my riding technique like mad since I got my license, and amongst other things, I've really noticed that my cornering and leaning is improving. But the other day, I was heading through a round-a-bout turning right...Brake, gear down, tipped the bike in as normal, head up, look where I want to go, and around we go. But around the apex of my line, (the point when the lean angle would be greatest?) my inside boot starts dragging along the ground. It startled me but I got through the corner OK. The same thing again happened to me today on the Old Pacific Hwy.

The question, for those who were wondering if I was ever going to ask one, is this.

Are my feet hitting the ground because I'm leaning the bike over too much? (I don't really consciously choose a lean angle, I just tip in and focus on holding the line I want, the bike sorts out the lean angle for me) Do I need to adjust where I put my feet on the pegs/move the pegs? Or are my feet just too big?

The bike is a ZZR-250. Pictures of my feet on request :p

Thanks for your input!

2. congratulations, you're leaning well, now tuck your feet hard against the cases and do it again,and again,and again....When you wear out the sides of your boots either raise your bike or put a strip of titanium along the sides of your boots Enjoy :grin: :grin:
  3. Ding Ding, we have a winner. I usually ride with the ball of my foot on the peg, sort of tucked in style.

It may take some time to get used to, but will give your boots more life :wink: If you are still scraping boots, then you have serious lean :LOL:
  4. Tuck your feet in more if you can and get boots with toe sliders
  5. When you say tuck your feet in more, you mean to rotate at the ankle to bring my big tow closer to the engine? Because how I sit now, my feet do kind of point away from the bike. Just went and sat on it, There isn't much room for movement (the brake and gears get in the way) but I suppose I'll have to manage.

Also, my boots appear to already have them, not that I knew thats what they were when I bought them :)
  6. When cornering, shift your toes onto the pegs. Doing so will also make it easier to put your weight onto the pegs which will also help you and the bike in corners for a number of reasons.

I had a zzr and once I learnt to keep my toes on the pegs for corners I never scraped my boots again. The centrestand/kick stand is another matter :cry:
  7. Shift my toes onto the pegs aye? I'll have to try that out. Did you shift both irrespective of cornering direction or just the inside foot? (It probably makes bugger all difference, but I am curious)
  8. keep the balls of your feet on the pegs- (NOT YOUR HEELS) and then move them forward to change gears and to use rear brake.
  9. For the outside foot I usually have the middle of the boot on the peg.
  10. Normally I rest the ridge along the bottom of my boot on the peg (I suppose thats the heel of the boot?). Ill give these tips a shot and see how we go.

Thanks dudes!

Edit Oh look. One of the guys around here has a link to this site in his sig. +1 to him, because this is a tops resource.
  11. On my old bike around the track, the tarmac hit my boot so hard, it shifted up a gear. :LOL:

250's don't have much ground clearance. What you are supposed to do is lean 'off' the bike, allowing the bike to stand up a bit. Riders getting their knee 'down' (or at least sticking it out) are doing just that.
  12. I thought putting your knee down was so you could judge your lean angle?
  13. You stick your knee out to practice posing for photos. I'm sure there's some other mystical reason for it but i'm sure the most important reason is cause it looks awesome! :LOL: :p

It's actually a good feeler for the ground and the way you are sitting makes the bike very stable.

Try moving your arse back a bit on the seat and get the ball of your foot on the peg with your boot tucked right up into the heel guard.... bugger me its easier to show this in person than explain on a forum :roll:......

If you are scraping the peg you should be alright as the peg just folds up, it'll just be a bit nerve wracking at first.
  14. True story. It just makes you look so... amazingly cool!

Yeah, that sounds pretty practical. Also according to this guy it stands the bike up a bit due to weight transfer.

But I don't quite think that I'm at the point of putting a knee down yet. I also think that my draggins may have mixed feelings about the whole situation...
  15. Looks like have a reason to get leathers.
  16. I've entertained this, actually. But the leather pants to go with my jacket are a little steep.

Possibly should have thought about this when I bought the jacket, but meh.
  17. Just sell that old computer stuff surely you could get $15 for it :LOL:

$700 for the pants - interesting.
  18. Ye. If not more. Some of the stuff is seriously that old its starting to appreciate.

And I'd have said 'expensive'. But if the pants are built as well as the jacket I don't really think I'd mind.
  19. if you're worried about your boots dont wear them.
  20. It will stand the bike up a bit more, yes. Without getting too complicated.... As you know, when cornering the bike and rider lean their weight into the corner.

If the rider tries to stay totally upright, the bike must lean its weight into the corner further to compensate.

Or, conversely, if the rider leans their weight further or even hangs off of the bike, MotoGP style, the motorcycle doesn't have to lean as far.

So if ground clearance is an issue, leaning yourself in a bit further can help resolve that. :)