Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Draggin Kevlar Jackets vs. Leather

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Khlarton, Nov 6, 2007.

1. I was wondering how the protection of these kevlar style jackets stands up in a slide. What are the pro's and con's vs the more traditional leather jackets?

(i did a search and found nothing very useful)

2. Kevlar is good for tear resistance (high tensile strength) - but sucks when it comes to abrasion resistance (much worse than leather, even worse than good quality cordura). So it should protect in the sense that it won't come apart when you fall, but not so good if you're sliding far.
  3. There must be a reason the Moto GP riders wear leather and not Kevlar Jeans/Jackets!
  4. Im not riding GP, are you?
  5. Are you talking about Kevlar jackets or Cordura jackets because most textile jackets on the market are made from Cordura. I think only Draggin Jeans makes kevlar jackets?
  6. Well yeah i was looking at draggins so I said kevlar, but ill look into cordura jackets as well. It maybe too hot to wear a leather jacket soon, so im trying to see how much difference is between them and textiles.
  7. Yeah, leather is hot. Just ask any of us who were waiting to start the Pink Ribbon Ride the other week. However, it offers the absolute best protection available. It's your choice. I choose cow. :grin:
  8. Alright then, leather it is.
  9. Nope, but the reason they wear leather is that it gives them the best protection when they come off.

I've heard that kevlar gives good protection, but does generate a lot of heat when slid on. Leather is the best for protection, the "dragon" option is cheaper and is cooler for the hot Aussie weather.

I'm in the process of getting a new jacket and will get perforated leather. I've got perforated leather pants and when moving, the perforation does make a difference. Still stinking hot when parked in the sun!
  10. +1 on the cow. Hot as hell when stopped but not to bad when mooooving :LOL:
  11. :LOL:

You might want to check out one of these jackets, perfect for hot weather. I have one and they are ACE.
  12. So its just all hype then? Not having a go at you but at the fact that so many people ride in Draggin Jeans and may think this will save them in an off.
  13. Relative to normal old jeans, Draggin Jeans are a huge improvement. Normal jeans will wear thru within seconds of sliding on bitumen. But leather pants are better again than draggin jeans for slide resistance and they generally also have armour and padding at the knees and hips, so as well as avoiding gravel rash, your less likely to hear snapping bones as the additional armour will further cushion the impact.
  14. I fell off in draggin jeans at 80-90kph and they held up well, i didnt sustain any injuries. Thats because I just slid and didn't impact with anything. I was wearing a alpinestars jacket and that saved me too. Be warned though you really need armour in your equipment, I was lucky, imagine if I my knees slid into the curb.
  15. Did you get Kevlar burns from the friction?