Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Draggin Jeans vs. Motodry Duo pants

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Roar2Life, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Hey guys. When I brought all my gear I purchased a pair of textile Motodry Duo pants with a removable thermal liner and knee armour. They have now ripped after 3 wears (on the inside liner) so now I am returning them to the shop. So, for the past couple of days i've been riding in jeans and they're so much more comfortable and cooler so i'm thinking of buying a pair of draggin jeans or cargos (i want to be able to fit my school shorts underneath). But would draggins protect as well as a pair of textile pants or not? Your help is much appreciated.

Here's a pic of the motodry pants:
  2. Motodry sounds like wet weather gear to me and you don't want to be wearing that sh1t unless it's raining. Especially in QLD.

3. im also interested in hearing about the draggins. I am keen on a pair as i like wearing jeans while riding, but for the cost id loveto know if they as good as draggins say they are :LOL:
  4. Why dont you go looking through the photo gallery, & peoples pic's.
    See just how many are wearing draggins. Make up your mind from that.

OR ...... search is your friend. This very question has been asked to many times to count :)
  5. Sorry :oops: I did have a quick look but obviously it wasn't a very good one!

Soz again guys.
  6. Summer and dry weather draggins are tops (consider knee armour).

I have the DUO as well and live in them during winter. Shouldn't have ripped that soon. i commuted all winter in mine and they are wearing fine.

Each has its purpose.
  7. draggin

Hi. I have been tossing up whether to get some draggin jeans also, more for daily commuting and short trips. I went to a shop on friday and spent quite some time checking them out and this here are my thoughts:
    While I knew they were over $200 I was unimpressed with what I got for that, namely some pretty small pieces of kevlar and studs without bits that stick out. Yes they are a little longer as well but I found it hard to justify the extra $100-120 for jeans. More importantly I am a little unconvinced as to the 'real' level of protection they give. The image of a guy being dragged along the road shows a certain level of abrasion resistance but I'm not sure how that relates to being thrown off a bike, onto a road (or car) and then bumping and rolling for some distance.
    The three items covered in Draggin;s About Kevlar Jeans" page asks three questions; Do you have (Dupont) Kevlar in your Jeans ?
    Do you have provision for protective equipment and have your jeans passed the "drag test". Hardly convincing evidence to purchase them.
    I think there remains a very strong link in people's minds between Kevlar Armour and Draggin jeans that would be largely unsupported in any real test.
    Look, don't get me wrong. Wearing jeans with Kevlar compared with jeans without Kevalr may be slightly better. I'm just not convinced...

And 'Charmed' , I hope you don't make all your decisions on what everbody else is doing having said all that they appear a well made product.
  8. ive got both,

generally just wear the draggins

I slide the motodry's over the top if im riding when its cold, wet, or long distances on the highway. Or combinations of the above

Duo's are waterproof riding pants, not for everyday wear like draggins.
  9. Re: draggin

Dragins are not impact resistand and I don't think i've ever seen them claiming to be.

They are abrasion resistant (moreso than regular Denim but leather is still the winner here). The armour you can fit to them is to provide some protection for critical parts like knees from getting smashed in a fall.

This is why they sell the know armour to go with the jeans.

The Kevlar thet Draggin use should not be confused with kevlar armour as in Bullet proof vests. Yes it's all kevlar but a different application. the jeans use woven kevlar to provide an abrasion resitsant material.

the vensts are made entirely differently to creata solid mass that will absorb the concentrated impact of a projectile......

the link is that kevlar is strong but it depend on the way it is applied.

I have come off my bike twice and i still have the same pair of draggins..... no damage yet.

I do wear knee armour as i have enough knee problems without chancing anymore
  10. Drew do you wear an external knee pad? or under neath your draggins

and is it a strap type, or velcro?
    Just wondering how the jeans go looking when people attach the velcro sort
  11. goes under the pants and actually velcros to the kevlar on the inside..BUT they are REALLY annoying ot walk in.

I'm actually looking into a more suitable solution ut in the meantime i DOn't get on the bike without them....unless i have the motodry pants on...they already have armour in the knees

looks are secondary for me...

PROTECTION 1st, all else is secondary.
  12. +1 same combo for me,.
  13. i was going to get the Dririder pants but these were reccomended and i love em... even survived an off with i minor popped sean on the knee.. all fixed now though.
  14. for me the motodry was on special, got them in the middle of summer and must say they are pretty damn good. Highly recomended
  15. how much did ya pay for them?? i think mine were full price.
  16. Re: draggin

Make up your mind, you just bagged them out & gave what you thought about it all & then turn around & say well made product.
  17. If you're planning to wear shorts under your draggins I suggest the cargo style as they are looser fitting. I think the chinos and camo pants are lighter weight material however, so not as good with abrassion resistance. Haven't compared them to the Denim ones yet.

And I agree with Drew impact resistance on draggins are shite, but that's not their purpose. Nobody's has mentioned the stronger seams on draggins either - they're meant to hold together better than normal jeans. So IF you have an off, the jeans are more likely to hold together rather than burst open an expose your skin to the gravel.
  18. I own a pair of Draggins' as well as a pair of DriRider pants. The DriRiders look very similar to the Motodry depicted in that image from the OP.

Now, if you want protection from impact, you would need something that would resemble the skin of an armidillo. Neither Draggins, Motodrys, DriRiders or Dainese leathers will protect you from broken bones suffered from bouncing off cars, hitting the road wrong, or hitting roadside furniture. They are more for abrasion protection than anything else.

The thing with Draggins is that there is nothing to stop the leg riding up as you slide (hopefully sliding) along the road. That could expose your skin to abrasive injuries. That's where the likes of leather pants come in. Probably MotoDry and DriRider as well.

I wear the Draggins in warm to hot weather. Even then they can be still hot, particularly when you have a hot air stream blasting your legs from the radiator.

In the end it's up to you whether you want to wear them, or leathers or whatever. All of them offer varying levels of protection, comfort and peace of mind. Of course, if you highside your bike at 100 kays or more then there ain't much out there that's going to stop you incuring some nasty fractures.
  19. I've got both Draggins, as well as overpants like the Duo (I've got Motodry summer ones and Ixon winter ones). I wear a mixture of both - Draggins by themselves, under the overpants, or the overpants over "normal" pants.

The summer overpants are really comfortable to ride in in summer. The winter ones are a bit too hot. Draggins are fine until it gets hot and you stop, then the unlined kevlar gets annoying and prickly.

I have no idea how much abrasion resistance the overpants would have though. But they do have some impact resistance, which is good.