Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

DPP; the rebranded DRM?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by jirf88, Sep 9, 2009.

1. A little light reading for those interested in Digital Rights

The theory behind this "solution"

The excecution

This is certainly an interesting approach, but the first thing that popped into my mind was why not just host all the keys for my music on a web facing machine, and provide links to these files. Set the permissions on these files to be read only, and bobs you're uncle.

Of course, I can think of ways they could prevent this, but none of them are particularly user friendly; for instance, requiring the key and the file to be on the same machine. In this case, what of people with networks?

Furthermore, what of MP3 playing stereos? How will the car know if its allowed to play this file or not? (sound like any other type of DRM you know of? iTunes anyone?)

I admire their ingenuity, but this will never fly.

2. If it can be played on a computer, it can be stolen, stripped of whatever protection they put on it, and redistributed. I'm happy to buy MP3s, but I won't shell out for anything with usage restrictions.
  3. funny, the bands are still filthy rich.....
  4. Bugger-all musicians end up making a better dollar than they would flipping burgers, particularly if you factor in all the time it takes to get well known. It's only a miniscule percentage that get rich off it, and most of those guys bust their arses to do it.

This has little to do with DRM, though. DRM hurts the big recording labels. And so it should, they've been feeding us faeces for so many years, and keeping the bulk of the profits too. Viva la digital revolucion, consumers will steal a lot less when they're buying direct from the bands.

5. Time for me to roll out my "napster theory".

80s - Vinyl is king. Typical record collection of about 20 LPs, average punter spend on music business is $600 (assuming $30/LP)

Late 80s, early 90s - digital age. average CD collection fills a box of 60, average punter spend on music business $1800. Much cash in the business, attracting more musicians

Early-mid 90s - golden age for music. Fistfulls of enduring standout acts.

Late 90s - birth of napster. punters spend less in music business. less musicians in the business. less stand out acts.

early noughties - crap like fiddy cent, beyonce, idol wannabes, britney etc dominate the music scene - bite sized fads swallowed up by 14 year old girls. definite lack of standouts from the years 2000-2005 (far less than any 5 year period in the 90s)

same time - apple opens itunes in 2001 embracing the music revolution digital delivery. Instead of 1000 people downloading an album for $0, 100000 people are buying a digital single for $1. Physical distribution costs eliminated. Cash injected back into the business.

2005/6 - music comes alive again - still plenty of bad acts but standouts emerging to take the crown from "product".
  6. Well, the mainstream ones are... At the moment it seems to be that you either hit it Coldplay style huge, or you spend your time playing pubs to try and get enough money to release an album, in the hope of getting huge. OR you're picked up by one of the big labels, and hyped into something you are not, making you huge. (read: Coldplay)

There does not seem to be much a middle ground... Just my observations anyways.
  7. mmm, and? They provide a service, you pay for it. same as everything. Woolworths CEO's are still filthy rich. that doesnt mean we can walk in and take whatever we want. most teenagers have never payed for a single song or album in their life.

I fear I may have missed you point but.

If the restrictions in question still allow the person to listen to the item while providing a starting solution to file sharing im all for it.

You would rather buy cd's, which are more expensive, the same way everyone did 10 years ago? they have much tighter usage restrictions than mp3 do...
  8. My opinion is, if someone makes something I want and they are asking a price... anything less than paying the asking price is theft.

When tracks cost around $2... why wouldn't I pay?

A lot of people these days think that because something isn't tangible, it isn't theft. The don't feel pirating music is the same as taking a CD from a shop, simply because there is no plastic disc or case involved...
  9. Itunes has been a real boon for me. I hear a song, find it on itunes, buy it for less than $2 and now have it DRM free. Everyone wins. It is unlikely that I would have bought half of the physical copies of the music I have in digital form. Impulse purchases whilst the tune is still in my head mean I have music I'll probably only play a few times. But it also means I have a pretty wide range of stuff.

As for 'free' mp3's.....I have had the great misfortune to have to visit enough PC's now with malware and other crap on them and when you go trawling looking for the infection, often you find a bit torrent client somewhere and a bunch of mp3's or movie files. Nothing is for free and at least one or two customers of mine are probably a few thousand $$$ worse off a result of illegal downloads (music, movies, cracking tools).
  10. often these solutions involve infringing on the rights of the individual (e,g. sonys disasterous efforts). likewise the current DRM solutions have been proven to impact on the longevity of your purchase DRM based music purchases have a lifespan of 1-2 years while non DRM generally last indefinitely- Wallmart has been forced to reopen an online store they shutdown due to lack of profits, this store was a music store with active DRM, once the store closed, the active DRM was shutdown and people who had legitemately purchased songs were no longer able to play them.

Its not that I buy into the free mp3 mantra, its just the DRM solutions are unrealistic as a solution. The argument isn't as cut and dried as 'stealing'. I want ot pay legitemately, but I don't want ot pay and then be forced to pay again when the current DRM system breaks
  11. dont gget me wrong, im not saying drm was god's gift to the music industry, but it was an attempt to solve a problem. This seems to be the next step, the new and improved, in that solution.

compare mp3 to cd's back before we had blank disks. you could only listen to he song when you had the cd with you. and cd's didnt have an indefinite life span either.

If a solution to file sharing music heads back towards that slightly, then im all for it. I think we are heading slowly towards a solution. hopefully.

mp3's dont have an indefinite life span either, file can become corrupted, hard disk can crap itself etc.
  12. +1, the more the greedy middleman is cut out the better the industry will be (imo).
  13. CD's don't disappear when their publisher goes broke. Whereas DRM files might.

MP3's are pretty much indefinite. Most people have them saved in several locations (HDD, MP3 player etc).

DRM files can't (or couldn't) be shared between friends. This new approach seems like a step (or a small shuffle) in the right direction, but nothing is going to play them. We are all going to have to buy new MP3 players, Stereo's and these files are unlikely to integrate well into iTunes, winamp etc.

I suspect the sheer logistical effort will kill this before it has a chance to succeed.
  14. +1000000000000000 to both points.
  15. I am yet to find a DRM that doesn't suck, even the itunes system has its flaws.

I am currently using the Nokia Music Store because my phone came with unlimited downloads for 12 months, & it really sucks.

It's got heaps of great music, but you can only access the tracks for 2 years after your membership expires, it frequently won't play tracks beacuse the DRM rights take too long to bounce back from the interweb & you have to sign into the bloody thing every bloody hour or so! If you don't sign back in, no playback! Sucky.

The DRM is easy to get around, it just take time, this DRM will be the same.

This bit is false, if it can be moved (& played back), it can be copied, it is just a matter of time. Unless it is some kind of hardware dongle...but even those can be copied or cracked.

I agree that it is an interesting idea, but there are too many logistical hurdles for this DRM to ever fly. Also, I think the fact that a user could permanently lose something they have paid for will turn people off, rather than making them value the goods.

I think the whole idea (maybe not the idea per se, but at the very least the execution thus far) of DRM is flawed, but I don't have any better ideas, apart from going back to something physical, ie a USB drive loaded with the product. This could also give much better quality.

I think if I have a physical item that I have had to pay for I would be less inclined to freely distribute it: like cd's, I am happy to make a few copies for a friend or two, (even though it illegal etc), but I feel more responsibility with a physical item.
  16. Yep and the Nokia one also won't let you use their mp3s as ring tones etc.

I grabbed about 2 albums, then just forgot about it. Completely against restrictive DRM, It's like they WANT me to illegally dl them :?
  17. One word for you Morbo: Tunebite*

*I have heard, not that I would ever think of using such a product. :-#
  18. I think "torrent" is a better word.

When they start selling the music without DRM, my protest will end and I'll give them cash/use their methods! (For the moment I buy CDs of fav bands and Aussie bands and then seem to just 'acquire' the other random music!)
  19. So you now buy your music from Apple, where all content is DRM free?
  20. I haven't checked lately. Is there a music service which offers the full range of labels and independents for download, in a range of bitrates up to FLAC, with no DRM and consistent tagging? Until there is, it's not as good as some of the "free" options out there.

I still go to gigs and festivals where I believe they make the bulk of their money anyway, and buy the odd cd that I love, although even that gets ripped straight away (technically illegal)...