Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Downhill corners

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Beza, Jul 7, 2011.

1. I took my 600 for a spin down the GOR on the weekend for the first time and noticed I'm having problems with cornering going down hills.

I never had a problem on my 250 but I think it's because it was a more up right seating position. With the 600 it's a lot more forward and I find myself putting too much pressure on the handle bars which freaks me out because I start to think the front end will give way.

Is it just me being lazy and no using my core strength or is there a particular way to position yourself to take some of the stress off your arms when going down hill into corners?
  2. your eyes are the problem...you are dropping your line of sight
    keep your head up eyes up and look further ahead
  3. Lower gear (to control speed on incline), keep elbows bent (may need to lean further forward), grip tank with knees for stability, not hands - be conscious of how much pressure you have on bars, and look through the corner to help mitigate stress from looking at whats right in front of you. Stay wide and tip in later for more visibility too.
  4. The eye thing sounds like it could be the problem as I do have a habit of looking down as soon as I feel the pressure build up on my wrists
  5. Agreed. Lean forwards, elbows out and loose grip. If you're sitting upright with your arms locked straight you'll get a heap of pressure of your wrists.

I think I saw you actually. I was waiting at that temp traffic light at the road works...
  6. Have you read the cornering threads 1 2 3 & 4

Great threads for discussing these kinds of issues.
  7. Oh yeah, you were going in the opposite direction I remember your yellow bike. Good day for a ride I had bugger all cars in front of me all day
  8. Yup I've read them
  9. NP. I didn't want to presume to tell anyone how to ride, being a noob, but wanted to make sure you'd read them. I'll leave the advice to those with far more experience than I. I'm looking forward to hearing (reading) what they have to say about it.
  10. Yep, awesome day, no traffic. Deans Marsh road was clear as well.

Whenever I catch up to a car on the GOR I pull into a slow vehicle pull out, wait for the next to appear behind me and pull out again. Go nuts until you catch up, and then repeat. Nothings worse than following a slow car. Plus it’s a lot more fun knowing there’s no nasties in front or behind :D
  11. maybe brake earlier and a bit more gently so the weight doesn't transfer so much. if you're good with your rear brake use it a bit more for the same reason. I sort of trail brake so I'm progressively letting the brakes off as I approach the corner. and what Smitty said.
  12. To sum up what others have said...
    Keep your chin pointing where you want to go, and your eyes looking down the road.
    If you are just sitting (not hanging off), then grip the tank with your knees. Lean your upper body into the corner.
    Brake earlier and harder, then tip in and crack the throttle, enough to slightly on the power. Yes you will increase speed a little, thus the idea of braking harder initially.
    Stay wide, until you see the apex. At least prevent yourself from apexing early.
    You can't take ALL the weight off your arm but at at least keep your elbows unlocked.
    If it helps take all the pressure off the outside arm. This will leave some on your unlocked inside arm, and get you turning easily.

Clearly, you need to build confidence in your front end grip. That will never happen with your weight on your locked arms. (assuming they are) you must relax, and ride it like any other corner.
    If you are reasonably experienced, you can drag a front or rear brake, assuming your lean angles are'nt too aggressive, while you are on the throttle a bit, but i warn against this technique if you are a newish rider, and have not perfected control of your brakes.

Don't enter a corner timidly. Ride the corner, with purpose.
  13. Need more input.

But my guess is that it sounds like you're braking heavily through the corner which means the bike will tend to understeer, i.e., run wide. The weight is forward which means you're likely to put weight on the bars and the bike is likely to run wide. You've probably charged the corner which amps up your SR's and makes you tighten up on the bars, which means you're likely to run wide.

Are you running wide?

I'm not a fan of down hill corners either.

Theory says you need to enter at a speed low enough that you can maintain a neutral feathering throttle and as a minimum maintain a constant speed through (slightly accelerating is ideal). Being down hill a bike naturally wants to pick up speed, so you may even need to trail some brake or use a low gear which you can balance speed against engine braking to give you a constant to slightly increasing speed. Yes, Ideally you still want a small/little bit of acceleration which shifts some weight rearward - even down hill, so that entry speed is important.

IIRC, TOTW2 has something in it about down hill cornering... I should probably read it again too. lol.
  14. Thanks for all the feedback.

I definitely charged some corners then braked hard to correct my speed which probably did amps up my SR's which would then make me look down at my handle bars and tighten my grip before I'd tell my self to relax and look through the corner.

I'm going to have a play around this weekend and see if this is the cause of my problem (sounds like it), I should also grab TOTW2 off my bookshelf and give it another read.

I did run ride occasionally but I'd still be in my lane I put this down to lack of concentration at the time.
  15. totw2????
    i wana read this what does it stand for
  16. Twist of the Wrist II. There is a book, and a DVD.