Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

double u tee eef!

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by boro_baba, May 7, 2008.

1. Hey guys... Iv got a Yamaha R6 2000 model.

When i first bought it over a month ago in the mornings it would start with the in the frist second or 2 of pressing the starter button.

Now i have to sit there and hold it for around 5 seconds and play with the throttel

Iv got 2 ideas as to what it could be (correct me if im wrong)

1- Iv got Xenon head lights and im thinking that this is draining the battery.

2- the weather is colder now than it was a month ago and its harder for it to turn over.

any help or ideas would be MUCH appreciated.

2. I'm guessing that's a carbed model.

You'll probably need to wind up the throttle stop in colder weather.

A carb tune and balance won't hurt.

3. Yea it is a Carbby

What do you mean "wind up the throttle stop "???

How much is a carb tune/balance?

4. Is it manual or auto choke? Probably auto, maybe faulty?

5. Somewhere on the carbies (usually on the side these days) will be a knob. wind it in a bit to bring your idle speed up. As a bike gets older they get more sensitive to winter.

A full carbie rebuild will solve it, but that's not cheap.

Try the idle adjust but if it's revving too much when warmed up, you will need to get the carbies looked at.

Guessing $200-300 for a clean tune and balance

6. If it runs okay at idle but just has trouble starting I'd be chucking in a new set of plugs (20 bucks or so) before forking out $200-300 on a full carb rebuild.

7. Na its not auto

It ideals pretty good once its warmed. Im thinking i might drop it off at the mechanics to get the spark plugs done and a carbby tune...

Unless of course any1 hear would wanna help a brother out? [-o<

8. Similar symptoms happened to me not too long ago and it was my battery dying - I think partly due to a slight overcharge. A new battery and it now explodes back into life in less than a second, and if Kawasaki regulators weren't $680 I'd have a new one of those by now too. Oh, sir wants a rectifier as well? Another $680 please. Motherf*ckers!

Anyway, I don't know if your new headlights would be cooking the battery, but I'd bet if you hook your bike up to a car battery on jumper leads and press the button cold, it'll start in an instant.

9. so you recon its the battery?