Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Double trouble for speeding drivers in 40km/h zones

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Jeffco, May 5, 2014.

1. From todays H/S you've been warned

DOUBLE whammy cameras to catch leadfoots in 40km/h zones will be added to fixed red-light cameras in a crackdown on dangerous driving.

Millions of dollars will pour into state coffers as those racing to beat lights in the school, shopping and pedestrian zones face fines of about $650 - $289 for speeding by more than 10km/h and $361 for the red-light offence - and six demerit points in the one hit if snapped.

Those caught off-guard and who travel, for example, at 65km/h in what is normally a 60km/h zone would pay a $397 fine for speeding, lose four demerit points and have their licence suspended for one month in the newly signed 40km/h zones.

The switch will be turned on in four locations today at the intersections of Punt and Toorak roads in South Yarra, Punt Rd and High St in Prahran, Whitehorse and Surrey roads in Blackburn and Barkly and Carlisle streets in St Kilda.

The red-light cameras are already at the four intersections and last financial year nabbed 4787 motorists, who paid $1.3 million in fines.

Figures show there were 36 pedestrian fatalities in Victoria’s road toll last year, which stood at 242.

Department of Justice spokesman Jonathan Granger said the speed cameras, which will have variable speed limits to match road conditions, were an added incentive for drivers to slow down and avoid potentially deadly crashes with pedestrians and schoolchildren.

“Putting the foot on the accelerator to catch the lights is not good enough,” Mr Granger said.
    “The risk of a tragedy is too great to take such a risk, especially outside a school or near shops.
    “These cameras will keep pedestrians safe.”

The dual camera in the 40km/h zones is the latest arsenal used to catch rogue motorists as State Government and police intensify their attack.

In March, three cameras were turned on in 40km/h zones at the junctions of Flinders and William streets, Exhibition and Victoria streets in the city, and Fitzroy St and Lakeside Dr in St Kilda - blitzing 14,950 speeding motorists in a fortnight.

Last month, Victoria Police started using its new supercams that can snap offending drivers texting, talking and tweeting on mobile phones 700m away.

There is also $17 million allocated to refresh the mobile speed trap network, including a camera that can cover cars in both directions and across multiple lanes.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Please amend this post with a (VIC) tag..

And these cameras have been being used for years here in NSW: to the best of my knowledge the sky has not yet fallen...
  3. Camera revenue is down this year, only $140m was gouged in H1 against the budget target of $325m for FY14.

So we need to pull out all the stops in H2 to get us over the line. We can do it people.
  4. We have warning signs though.
  5. Fixed speed cameras have signs here too, just not mobile ones. Might not for much longer tho... The camera on the corner of Carlisle and Barkly has had a sign warning of speed cameras in the area for ages. Must have been a fib.
  6. I have never had a problem with speed cameras in school zones, you can park a camera in every one as far as I am concerned - but I am dubious of the shopping strip ones.

I see those 40kph zones as just another crutch for the stupid - how about looking before you wander off into the middle of the road ensconced in your earphone wearing/iPhone using universe?
    • Agree Agree x 6
  7. I'm just happy that speed camera's are the sole reason for our declining & almost non-existant road toll.
  8. Geelong's CBD has just come down to a permanent 40 too, and in Pakington street they've got the big flashing 40 signs from 7-7

glad that the Victorian speed limit review has had such a positive outcome (for the coffers)
  9. Dunno how it all works in Vic.

Here in NSW, the school zone business is a bugga....

If you are riding thru an area that you don't know very well, and, it's on a three lane each way bit of road, a big truck on the inside of you can easily cause you to miss the flashing school zone signs.

But, having said that, I have to admit that I am heartily in favour of red light cameras.

There is a fair bit of amber/yellow to give folk a bit of a hint, so I don't really see a big problem with red light cameras....... if they bust you, you probably deserve it.

The one time I got a ticket from a red-light camera, I politely asked whet else was in the picture, since there had been a bloody great Land Cruiser, complete with Bull Bar, right close behind me...... that ticket "magically" disappeared. :]
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. 5000 red light tickets is a bit much..

in other words, 14 times per day at that location, you have a chance to be hit by someone going through a red light :arghh:

it was sneaky in NSW when they changed "safety cameras" (red light, and speeding through red light) into constant speed camera + red light camera..
  11. Has anyone stood just before where our cameras are located, and looked at how drivers react?
    I have, eyes down, looks up for 2 secs, looks down for next 2 secs, looks up again, looks down.
    Someone should commission a study.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. You should work in politics, that is outstanding misrepresentation of facts.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. They're probably texting. :rolleyes:
  14. #14 oldcorollas, May 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2014
    oops, didn't read it was for 4 intersections :D

if equally distributed, almost 1200 per intersection = average of 3.3 fines per day.

I spose that is not bad odds :) but would it be more if the cameras were nto there? do they have any deterrent effect at all?

I'm sure the cop behind me today was texting... or.. "using a computer located on his steering wheel with a glowing screen"
  15. More to the point I could go to any intersections and spend a day running red lights and be confident I would never hit someone by timing the run.
  16. that's probably true. (and you could probably say that for most other road laws as well?)

so are red light cameras aimed at people who deliberately or inadvertently go through red lights??

apparently enough people are not good enough at timing their runs through red lights to cause enough accidents to be an issue?
    or there are no accidents at intersections?
  17. The first job in commissioning a study is deciding what result you want it to deliver.;)
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Id say most infractions are people just missing the orange. Which given the buffer is fairly safe and just people being impatient dicks not causing a huge that to anyone. But the people accidentally running the reds are scary, just I'm guessing they are a slim fraction of the total tickets given.
  19. In Sydney, the "traditional" meaning of traffic lights seems to be:-
    Red = stop, Green=go, Orange = change down a gear and nail the throttle.

I guess this was why they added the speed camera function to the red light cameras.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. whereas in Victoria it seems to be: Green... look up, think about it a bit, finish text, put phone down, shift into drive, remove park brake, accelerate gently, and then get angry at the bike that's filtered past and nailed it. By which time the light's gone amber and everyone is so angry that only two cars have gone through the junction they do as above.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1