Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National Double Demerit points effectiveness???

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by davidp1984, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Hi Y'all,

came across this news article and I found something interesting.

I'm not too sure exactly which states have double demerits and which ones don't but thought it could be an interesting discussion.

I do not want to discuss the runner or speculate about the accident etc but more the stats on road toll. Just found it interesting that the state with double demerits(DM) has the highest road toll where somewhere like QLD which doesn't have DM has less then half the deaths. To play devils advocate on myself though, I wonder what these figures are as a percentage of people on the road and if they hailed from that state etc.

2. Tasmania is the worst, then NT, SA and WA then NSW, Vic, QLD in rate. Not really a great sample size though.

For what it's wotrth I do think double demerits and the blitz has a massive effect on drivers in NSW. There is definitely a lot less people speeding. Whether this saves lives or not is a completely different story.
  3. I personally think its all about raising revenue, much like enforcing school zones days after school broke up.
    Instead of proactively making people up skill, enforcing a mandatory driver education scheme or anything that may actually bring down the risks involved with being a motorist, they spend money on a heavy police presence over the Xmas break, enforce heftier punishments for all traffic offences then jump up and down about a road toll that they did nothing to prevent. Punishment is not prevention.
    Is the road toll over Xmas really any different for any other time of year or is it more the fact the media keeps count this time of year to strengthen the whole reasoning behind double demerits?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I doubt they make a lot of revenue from police blitzes. I'm assuming but I'd say that a police blitz costs a lot more than they make in fines. Police cars, overtime, administration and courts cost a lot of money. Not to mention someone paying a fine has less money to pump into the economy during Christmas and sales.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I read an article recently that discussed a study that showed NO significant increase in road incidents over the Christmas break. I think the police have simply managed to gain more enforcement powers under a circumstance and will not let it go unless forced to. It's like a tax being introduced. No matter how much they talk about it being "temporary", once it's in you need a crowbar to pry it out.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. It's a well known fact and vicpol pedal it out each summer to show they aren't necessary.
  7. This.
    I can't find the article but I'm sure I've read that the holiday road toll is no greater (per kms traveled) than any other period. It was found to be an ineffective deterant in VIC when reviewed a few years ago.
  8. Vicpol understand that with their level of enforcement, if they double demerits, there would be no one left on the road for them to tax. What would they do with themselves then!
  9. Would say that double demerits definitely costs revenue, less people speed and if they do speed it is by lesser amounts. They get caught less and when they get caught they will get smaller fines.
  10. Population....
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Double demerits don't change the way I ride - they just make me highly suspicious of car models post 2008.
  12. Do Double Demerits equate to doubled revenue per infringement? If so, I think we can see the real reason behind Double Demerits.
  13. Nope, just points. Fine is the same.
  14. Well, colour me surprised.
  15. What colour is suprised?
  16. I got surprised by a kangaroo while riding once. I'm fairly certain the colour of my surprise was brown.
    • Like Like x 1