Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Double Apex Corners

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by twistngo, Oct 11, 2015.

1. I've always done the in wide out tight thing and I can't get my head around double apex corners. Get the aah its too early feeling and end up slow and on the wrong line. So how do I get it sorted?

2. What your doing is on the right path!
    If your google 'double apex corners', you'll find plenty of tips for the race track, which is fantastic so long nothing is coming from the opposite direction.

For public roads, where the distance you can see through the corner is limited, l start out wide, with a late entry, the exit the first section tight, keeping myself a safe distance from any oncoming traffic, then repeat the technique for the second section, enter wide, the exit tight.
    Treat it almost like 2 separate corners with a short straight between them, once you get the basic technique down, then things will become smoother and you'll feel more confident.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. dobbodobbo Thanks for that. I'll give it a go.
  4. How are you going to know its a double apex if you haven't ridden the road before.And if you have and its becoming that familiar your riding it from memory and setting up accordingly that's riding with your fingers crossed a bit. Getting a flush of corners right means allowing enough wiggle room for the second and latter bits if it goes to shit. Other than larger roundabouts I dont remembers actualy seeing to many double appex bend s around close to Sydney. Especialy if the second half tights.Not good road building I think.Maybe Mac pass might have a couple.
  5. Double apex with or without local knowledge?

Double apex in terms of a "normal" bend followed by a reducing radius??
  6. [​IMG]

There are many things called double apex corners. The ones I'm talking about are these which I tend to take as single apex. ie on the green line below. But sometimes that line feels wrong.

7. Green is certainly the line I would advocate - staying out wide responding to the vanishing point, then as the vanishing point starts coming at you on the second curve, rolling off and tightening the line until the corner opens up or the VP starts moving away again.

Have a look at the doctored image looking at where the sight line touches the inside curve - which is where the VP would be. It seems to move steadly in the early phase, so that's a constant speed section, then suddenly the the VP jumps ahead and then seems to get snagged on the second inside curve point, which means you'll be catching up to it, so you have to slow down. If you'd never seen this corner before, I think the green line should stay out wider for just a little longer, but with local knowledge, having slowed down, you'd tighten the line to straighten out the exit phase.

146_0905_01_z+riding_skills_series+different_approaches v2.
  8. Excuse the quality of the mock up - was a last night bleary eyed thing - I should have removed the red and blue legends as well...
  9. Not all corners are blind!
  10. And where they are blind, all you can see is the VP. If you are bearing down on a static VP in the approach and entry phase, then it's a bloody tight corner so deal with it pronto! If the VP runs forward as you approach then it is has a more open radius. The other clue is the advisory speed if there is one posted.
  11. All of what Rob said is in your own lane.

Read my sig. On roads we need safety not speed. An apex is a way of getting through a corner fast on a racetrack. Leave it there.
  12. Maybe this is simplifying it too much, but I'm of the school that says don't tighten the line until you can clearly see the road straightening out beyond the apex in front of you.
    The blue line would never satisfy that criteria.

(There are corners that still catch me out though).
  13. If there's a vanishing point, then that's as far as you can see and you have to let that be your guide - unless it's a track and you know what's on the other side.
  14. You just tootle around in the wheel tracks?
  15. LH for RH corners, RH for LH ones. It keeps you out of oncoming traffic.
    I tootle sometimes, usually when there is a bit of gravel or wet. I can scrape a peg and still keep my head on my side of the centre line if that's what I fancy.