Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

"DOT Approved" Generally Mirrored in Oz? :-)

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Seamus, Aug 5, 2005.

1. I've been looking at helmets from the US and if they day "DOT Approved" (Dept of Transport? Approved?) d'you reckon this is generally reflected in Australia?

Looking at these helmets:

Thank you. :)

2. As in do the DOT standards match the AUS standards or as in DOT approved helmets are legal here?

AFAIK the latter certainly isn't necessarily true and I'm not sure about the former. Something tells me DOT was the lesser of the standards when compared to Aus, Euro and SNELL but I could be wrong.

Aside from that...I've never seen a skullcap design with an Aus standard sticker. If they don't exist it'll be a cop magnet for any cop who actually knows.
  3. There is one short and simple answer: NO!!

If the helmet does not have an AS1698 sticker on it then it is not legal to wear it on the road.

E.g. You can buy all the same shoei helmets over the net from the USA the same as they sell here for cheaper. However becuase they are coming from the USA they do not have the AS1698 and are therefore not legally allowed to be used on the road.
  4. See, Wollongong people know stuff :)
  5. The last two styles of helmet you listed are readily available here anyways, with the appropiate sticker.
  6. Does the sticker increase the protection? Is there a place where one could take the helmet to be assessed and gain the certification?
  7. No