Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dorna getting desparate to save MotoGP

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by MSCRacing, Jan 31, 2009.

1. http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2009/Jan/090129i.htm

Dorna and several MotoGP team members met in Italy recently to try and devise a way to cut costs in MotoGP and improve the show to spectators. With Kawasaki pulling out of the series and rumors of Suzuki being next, Dorna will want to devise some sort of plan quickly.

Ideas--for the 2010 season--bounced around thus far include:

Making carbon-carbon brakes illegal and requiring MotoGP bikes to use steel brakes. This rule will save the teams as much as $250k per motorcycle but will remove the very trick composite brakes from the world stage.

Limit testing during the season even more and extend the off-season test ban.

Require each rider to use just a single motorcycle at each race. The norm is for riders to have two bikes in each pit during practice and qualifying. Moving to a single bike would cut costs dramatically, but would also limit a rider's time spent on track during a session due to mid-session changes and or a technical issue.

Requiring MotoGP engines to last between 2-3 Grand Prixs. This would presumably require fairly serious de-tuning to insure the 200-horsepower engines live that long.

Limiting each MotoGP entrant to nine engines for the season.

With the world economy sagging more now than it has in the last sixty years, motorsports series with very high costs like MotoGP and F1 are in a fairly precarious position. they have no direct association with production motorcycles and are burdened with huge operational costs. That makes them very vulnerable to the budget-cutting axe of a corporate bean-counter.
  2. All of which will count for nothing if they can't get more people through the gates and improve their profit margin. Selling the show to TV is fine, but racing in front of empty stands in the Middle East and China is simply farcical.
  3. Well they're not going to China any longer, so they have seen the light there.
  4. If your going to shamelessly rip something from anther website, at least have the class to reference them.

From one of the best racing sites on the web:

Anyho, back to the subject at hand.

I fail to see how forcing manufacturers to make their engines last longer will save any money. They will just spend a fortune on exotic materials to get the required lifespan for only minimal power losses.
  5. You're right. My apologies. Peering at a computer screen at 4am after working a 12 hour shift tends to cause the mind to wander away from the task at hand.
    Duly edited.

I guess the convenience of cut and paste must have been an oversight by Bill Gates. :roll:

Welcome to the internet. :wink:
  6. There problem is a prototype series is always going to be extremely expensive. Everything is bespoke, everything is open for development.

And salaries in the millions don't help either.
  7. Not a problem mate. Good work and an excellent subject worth discussing.
  8. lol.

Cuttg costs is easy. Add an extra 200cc, add an extra 10l of fuel and cap power at 200 kw or something.

Basically give a big enough engine that everyone can make the power, enough fuel so fuel isn't a problem. Then let the engineers worry about power delivery and chassis design. This will cut out the huge expense of engine design and hopefully enable non factory teams to come back in.

Let them keep the electronic trickery, but its importance will be less important.
  9. ie. bring back the 990s...
  10. Here's another thing they won't do:-
    Go back to bump start. It was one of the few things that made it different from car racing. No more ultra high compression engines and slipper clutches. And they would have to pension off all those emaciated garden gnomes and give the big blokes a go.
  11. I like the way you think Al. :wink:

The LeMans start would certainly sort the men from the boys.

Anyone else remember (and miss) the days when forty or so 500's would grid up?
  12. They will never go back to push-starts.
  13. Push starting a 15:1 compression engine. Fun...
  14. Not possible
  15. maybe just get 30 geared up midgets to run 3 laps around the track making vroom vroom noises?
  16. Errr, I don't think so.
  17. control ecu (like F1), control tyre (already in place), salary caps, ban carbon fibre, titanium, and other exotic materials, and lastly, steel brakes! that should keep the costs down

just my 2 cents
  18. Steel Brake Rotors I agree with.
  19. Scrap it altogether and let WSBK take the mantle :)
  20. That won't happen either.

It would be like scrapping Netrider, to let Bikes and Scooters take over.