Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Door to door scams

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by CrazyCam, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Well, there I was, in the middle of posting a comment to NR, when there was someone at the door.

OK, I went and found a young bloke, who claimed to be collecting money for the Special Olympics, some turn in Newcastle in a month or so.

Aye, OK, fine, I gave him some money.

Ah, but he couldn't give me a receipt.

Now, I am a kinda casual person, and I'd lose a receipt at the drop of a hat, and I said to the bloke, don't worry about it.

But he produced some booklet with vouchers for crap at Coles Servos.

I told him that I didn't want it, but he insisted on leaving it with me.

Anyhow, after the bloke had gone, I had a look at the booklet, and, while I thought at the time I was making a donation to some charity, in any legal sense, I had just "bought" a useless book of special offers from Coles.

Now, since I wouldn't have paid any money at all for this here booklet, I figure that I have been conned.

It seems a shame to me that charitable groups, which I assume the Special Olympics is, have to stoop to false and deceptive dealings to raise money.

I do wonder how much of my "donation" will actually get to the intended recipients, given that the money I handed over was, in a legal sense, purchase of goods.
  2. The Special Olympics Asia Pacific Games are being held in Newcastle from 1st December to 7th December 2013.
    Could be a legit collection drive going on but not being issued a receipt is shifty.

Why not drop them a line and find out.

The 'contact us' tab is at the bottom of the page
  3. I have done.... will post up any reply.
  4. Most of them don't call on me any more. Apparently I'm grumpy or something.
  5. It's like the snack box in my office that has pictures of animals on it and says "A portion of the proceeds will be donated to your local animal shelter."

Well what size is this portion? There is no percentage. If they decide to donate $1 for every $1000 that comes in, well he wouldn't be lying now would he. However, the way it's marketed, I'm sure people think they are genuinely giving money to a good cause, when all they're doing is making someone a profit, but being suckered into spending their cash at the snack box instead of the store because they believe the money is going to help the animals.
  6. Maybe it's the lack of pants? ;)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. I worked with a guy years ago that managed to stop the JWs knocking on his door every Sunday morning. When a group turned up, apparently looking like gran, mum and young daughter, they started to speak but he held up a hand, hushed them and said, "How much for the little girl?"

He's probably on a watch list now, but the JWs don't knock on his door any more.
    • Funny Funny x 2