Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Don't trust GPS navigation

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by jd, May 29, 2008.

1. Not if it's as reliable as Google maps, which recommends I use this road.
    (Even scarier is the fact I've seen cars try).

2. :shock:

:LOL: Surely you can get the kat up to a speed to jump over that minor obstacle?!? :LOL:

Clearly google didn't get the memo.
  3. Of course, it's the fence on the other side that worries me :p
    Although it has gotten deeper since that photo was taken.
  4. hahahahaha.

thats gold.

Yeah it's kind of hard to miss a pothole like that in the road!
  5. Heh. :)

Not specifically cartography-error related, but...

Thanks to how GPSes extrapolate your old course due to signal loss until the GPS re-locates you, my mountainbike has allegedly reached 180kph around a hairpin on Mt. Sugarloaf, my MR2 has allegedly reached 284kph (40kph faster than redline in 5th gear) somewhere in Melbourne city, and the Tiger 1050 has reached an astonishing 661kph and 606kph on Macquarie Pass. :LOL:

Not bad acceleration and lateral grip for a sports-tourer!
  6. :LOL: I got to something like 830km/h on the Monash once... according the GPS... I think I even posted up about it! Jet fighter speeds from a VSII commodore wagon. Woooot!
  7. Google maps must "love" mine sites.
    The Hyland Hwy now follows my blue line (approx).

Our TomTom only made 1 mistake in about 6000km when we were in the states last year. Even freshish roadworks were ok.
  8. GPS navigation is as much about entertainment as getting to where you want to be. :) Although usually you get there eventually.

There are lots of GPS stories around, but one that I keep in mind when using my Zumo is from Europe somewhere. A guy turned left off a main road as per instructions from the GPS in his expensive new car . . . and drove straight into a lake. Of course, there was supposed to be a ferry there to carry him across the lake, but his GPS maps just showed a road, so he followed it.

I never do what my GPS says unless it makes sense, but there have been times when I have had to stop myself from just doing as I was told without question. :roll:

BTW, I find Google Maps is usually much better than Garmin supplied Sensis maps. They seemed to have missed that little ditch though. :eek:
  9. Yep. In fact I found another one.
    Which from the ground looks like this:
  10. don't 4wd's have snorkels these days? :p
  11. Doesn't the latest Sensis maps have Eastern Link on it? I am sure there was some high quality segment on ACA or Today Tonight saying how all these people blindly follow the GPS and ended up driving around security barriers to get on the yet to be opened Eastern Link and go driving!

We went to a friends party one night - they live in the burbs somewhere. Now I know I live in Glen Waverley and it is the burbs, but these guys are beyond burbs. Eltham I think. Anyway, the GPS put is in some dodgy street in a housing development with one house, no cars (as you would expect there to be outside someones house having their engagement party). We checked the street signs but there wasn't one for the street. After driving around a little we found there place two streets over. When we got there we told the host and she said "yeah sorry. Forgot to tell you. The GPS maps are wrong and lots of people say that"

The good thing is that the GPS is far smaller than chunky maps, street directories and travel guids combined! Mine fits on the phone (Palm Treo purchase from a NetRider member!) and was great when we were recently in the USA. Not sure I will use the maps from Guam though!!

12. And in news just in from Vic Police

May 30th 2008

Victoria Police is urging motorists to consider taking maps in their vehicles, rather than blindly following instructions from a GPS system.

Police in Bright have had at least two incidents over the past six weeks where visitors to the Alpine region have followed incorrect instructions from their GPS systems and ended up driving on roads that are more suited to 4WD vehicles.

“The function of a GPS is to give you the shortest or fastest route to your destination and does not take into account the suitability of your vehicle for that particular road,†Senior Sergeant Doug Incoll said.

“An increasing number of motorists are relying on GPS systems to get them from A to B and as winter approaches, some roads can become more hazardous and difficult to drive on.â€

The most recent incident in Bright involved a family with a young child who were trying to drive from the Buckland Valley area to Cranbourne in their sedan.

The family used the GPS to take them on the shortest possible route home which lead the family onto the Tea Tree Range 4WD track, on a steep, wet slope where they were unable to progress any further.

â€Incidents like these use a lot of police resources and other agencies to find and rescue motorists who are stuck on difficult tracks,†S/Sgt Incoll said.

“A seemingly simple mistake can quickly become a very dangerous situation that can lead to serious injury or death.â€

“It is easy for drivers to put themselves and their family in danger; however it can easily be avoided by simply carrying a map.â€

Police are urging motorists who are visiting areas in regional Victoria to compare the instructions on the GPS to a local map and ensure that the track you are following is safe and suitable for your vehicle.

13. Yeah, my GPS proudly suggested the Sydney Cross City Tunnel a few times because it'd been included on the maps 6 months prior to opening.

But that's okay, because for the last 20 years ACA has been doing stories of people overshooting the roundabout in Jesmond (Newcastle, NSW) because all the printed paper street directories for the last 20 years show that there's an expressway straight through the middle of Jesmond Park to Grandview Parade. :p

Edit: Regarding the above news release; It's actually pretty easy to 'fix', on Garmins anyway. You go into the system settings, 'Routing', and check the box for "Avoid unpaved roads".

And it's a good idea to do that anyway because the cartographers in far-north-queensland have a hilarious idea of what actually constitutes an unpaved road. I'll agree that a dry creekbed and (later) deep mangroves are unpaved, I'll give them that.... ;)
  14. Eltham's beyond the burbs? :LOL: Not if you live this side of the city. To me Glen Waverly seems like "beyond the burbs" :p or as I like to say ...BFE...(butt fcuking egypt) :grin:
  15. So do these bananas simply shut their eyes and follow the "force"????

Surely common sense (whilst not all that common) will dictate as to which route to take.

I use a version of TomTom on my mobile and its pretty faultless. The same CANNOT be said for the utterly stupid Nokia Maps.

The other day it told me to follow Dandenong Road for 7 km. 2 minutes in it was telling me to do a U-Turn then to turn into a shop, then into a train line before it finally got me to where the alarm was.

Bizarre :?
  16. Bo and Luke could have cleared it.

Rosco and and Enos would be in a world of hurt though :LOL:
  17. These are just more examples of people reaady to abdicate responsibility to others (others can be people or technology).

"But the GPS told me too!!"

First engage brain before taking action.

18. I have never had that problem with the Toyota GPS. If anything it's a bit too enthusiastic about using main roads when plotting a trip.

As for Eltham being "beyond the 'burb". For those of us who live in (semi)civilisation bloody Coburg is in the sticks... :LOL:

19. And don't rely on them totally, either (and yeah, I know that after that, what choice is there). The Vicroads directory for country areas is also incomplete and inaccurate. Our road wasn't on the map and often when couriers had to deliver stuff to us they couldn't find the place. We had to give them directions, if they ever bothered to call us to find out where we live. Most time they'd simply leave the articles at the depot and rely on us calling THEM to chase it up...
  20. Last time I lived in Brunswick, 30 years ago, it was far from civilised. :p It was flat and boring as well, unlike my current suburb, just a little south of Eltham. :grin:

Yep, my Zumo has been telling me to take Eastlink way too often. But soon it will be correct to do so. For me, setting the Zumo to "avoid dirt roads" has meant much. It will still route me down dirt tracks if it is the quickest way to get to my destination. But hey, the Multistrada can handle it. :cool:

Hey I've driven up that track. It's not so bad. . . in a 4WD. :twisted:

Oh, and yes, 4WDs have snorkels these days, but it gets hard to see where you are going when the water gets over the windscreen. :eek: