Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Don't ride with items in your jacket pockets

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Mouth, Jul 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. A recent email received ....

-----

Greeting Netrider Crew.

Thank you for your email as to why I have not been in touch. Well it’s a short story that may interest you and your readers and it comes with a warning, so here goes.

On the 19th of May this year, myself and a mate decided to go for a short ride on our adventure bikes, both klr 650’s. We live on the mid north coast in Taree so we have lots of options for on/off road rides. We had travelled approx. 80k past Gloucester and were heading through mapped roads of reasonable condition towards Nowendoc. My offsider was about 2k ahead of me as he is more off road experienced than I, so I was just taking my time enjoying the view. Then I came upon a corner that had an unusual bump in the road which I moved to avoid, but on the other side of the bump was a large amount of gravel which took the front wheel out from under me.

I landed fairly heavily on my right hand side, felt the impact of the mobile phone, which was in my right pocket of my jacket. The next sound was the cracking of ribs on the impact area. Thankfully we have radios and a system of calling when there is no response we turn back, which is what my mate did. There is a story to tell but it is a long one, the upshot is I broke 8 ribs, 2 of them twice (from the mobile phone which still works as it was in a protective cover),I was flown out to John Hunter Hospital, spent 10 days in hospital after my lung collapsed, then a further 8 days later on after an operation on the lung.

I am now on the long road to recovery and it will be a long road when you are 68,but at least I am alive to help the process, which, in the emergency stages was not guaranteed.

In discussion with a number of people, the stats are that if you carry wallets, mobile phones in your jacket pocket, then you are in danger of experiencing the same as me. When I asked why then do manufacturers make jackets with pockets, the general answer was to keep your hands warm after a ride.

Whether that is true or not I wouldn’t know, but as a general piece of advice DON’T use the pockets to store anything, Especially bloody phonesJ.

Spread the word.

Warm regards
    Paul GreenePaul Greene

• Informative Informative x 5
  2. Holy cr4p!

Wise words to live by.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. probably applies to pants pockets. I know I stuff my keys, phone, wallet etc into the cargo pants pockets of my draggin' jeans. another good reason for a tail or tankbag.

4. My jackets holds my phone and keys.....which is all I take when I ride. Might have to look for another alternative. Seems silly to invest in some form of luggage when I usually don't take any?

5. sounds like a good reason to spend some money - and it's in the name of safety!

6. Sounds like someone needs a physics lesson. If there was enough force to break eight ribs then the phone didn't make much difference, and if anything it spread the force of impact out more and actually absorbed some of the impact. I'll be keeping my stuff in my pockets, thanks.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. I'd have to agree but I do remember having a small 35mm camera in my jacket pocket do a real number on my ribs when I got into a tank-slapper at 100kph many year ago..

8. If the phone was tight enough against the body I don't see it being an issue, but if it was loose enough then it could easily deliver the force along one of the edges and dig into your ribs, doing some serious damage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Anything with hard edges (think force concentrators IF it's the corner that digs in and not the flat) is going to hurt for sure, but to blame a bunch of busted ribs on something that is both pretty flat and going to give a bit? Nope. Unless your phone case is made of titanium AND has square edges, it's not responsible.
    I keep my phone in the inside pocket of my jacket. If I land hard enough to break the ribs behind where my phone sits I will have larger problems than a couple of busted ribs, I'll also be man enough to admit it is my riding skills and ego that let me down and caused the damage, not blame my phone.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Better start keeping my meat clever in the tank bag. I do have a 5mm alam key in the jacket pocket to remove the seat and side covers to access my tool roll. Its probably as bad as a set of house keys. Worth thinking about but other than the cleaver its all going to stay.

11. Yeah ... I'll pay putting the cleaver in the luggage.

12. Just put your keys somewhere else.

13. phones are not hollow, and quite strong compare to your ribs
    certain parts of your ribs flex, and other parts do not.

14. MouthMouth, sorry to hear about your off, but glad to hear your recovering.
    Just a question,
    Which pocket was the phone in?
    Upper or lower pocket, or an internal one?

I mostly ride adventure style bikes off road, I have added extra high density foam overtop of the back plate, however, l do carry an PLB in my lower left front pocket, I've came off a heap of times and never had an issue ( probably more luck than anything else), l never carry anything in upper pocket around my heart/lung area.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Paul GreenePaul Greene had the off, not me.

16. my jacket pockets pretty low down, so theres about 10cm of fat between my phone and anything important :p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. and if you go down, the thing you hit is going to do you more damage than a modern phone.
    If you're carrying an old Nokia though all bets are off ... for you AND the ground!

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. I often forget to do pockets up so when arrive at destination pockets have conveniently emptied themselves. Must be an ingrained safety habit!

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. hahaha....like cigarette packets? :p

20. and tic-tacs! luckily no phone yet!

Thought you would have caught them as they flew past your helmet!