Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

"Don't get a motorcycle, you'll kill yourself"

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by jpdeyoung, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Has anyone else heard this before when mentioning to someone that you're purchasing a motorcycle?

I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone, especially those considering buying a bike or those who already ride one, that don't know the potential danger of motorcycles. Yet (most) everyone I've told about my decision to buy a bike has felt the urge to tell me how I'm most certainly going to kill myself. I know they probably just think they're being helpful by revealing this startling fact that motorcycles can be dangerous, but I'm finding it really annoying the more people chime in with their opinion...

Anyone else have similar experiences when considering their first bike?
  2. My dad doesn't know i bought a motorbike.

He remains adamant that everyone who rides one is an idiot and that they're all already dead and that the benfits of riding a motorbike including lower cost, easier parking, quicker point to point, more fun, less traffic are all outweight by buying a big 4x4 like him and sitting in traffic forever.

As far as he knows, the day i went for my L's training i flipped out and decided not to do it and thats what changed my mind when really, i simply keep the bike at my mum's and never ride it near him!!!

But generally the people who think that you will kill yourself are people who have never had experience on a bike ever. People who know motorcycle riders, who have been pillions, related to a motorcycle rider, were a motorcycle rider or envy motorcycle riders are much my compliant about it.

My advice = ignore them.
  3. We have had this discussion many many many times in these forums and the best one was the young bloke whose parents got him a psychiatrist to find out why he wanted a motorcycle, then his sister posted on here and it was obvious he wasn't the one needing help.
    "temporary Australian" used to be a favourite phrase.
  4. Mate if they get onto the dangers of motorcycling get onto the dangers of beds.

More people die in a bed than any road fatality, skydiving accident etc.

Bottom line.

Beds kill

Ban em
  5. Sorry, didn't mean to beat a dead horse, new the the forums :newb:

I've already heard the "temporary citizen" comment a few times, but I think my favourite came from someone's signature here on the forums, can't remember who, but it went something like:

"Dad, I want to ride a motorcycle when I grow up..."
    -"Sorry son, but you can't do both."
  6. LMAO :WStupid:
  7. My most interesting example of the OP is my business partner who said just that. This guy has a habit of reaching light speed between the lights in his SLK55 AMG... seriously!!!

I pointed out the idiocrasy of his statement.
  8. +1

I would have questioned his gender for owning an slk....

On a serious note though, I got that heaps before I got my bike. Almost everyone was against it. My response was "I know."

Just tell them that it's the idiots who kill themselves or the cars kill us.

Either way if you wear all the gear you can you're giving yourself a better chance.
  9. +1

My partner is concerned about me getting a bike but she asked me to promise (which I did) that I would wear ATGATT and do some riding courses to help build skills and maintain them. That way if something does happen I am giving myself the best shot getting out of it without getting injured.
    My mum however is deadset against it, i told her "im 33 you stopped getting a say in things about 16 years ago, but if you want to start paying my bills and supporting me financially then im glad to listen to what you have to say" I havent got any cheques in the mail from her so im assuming she is not taking me up on my offer...this means I get a bike and she, and anyone else who doesnt like it , can direct their objections to the nearest brick wall.
  10. Mate focus your concern more with courses. Gear is good but its only good enough to save your arse in certain kinds of crashes. Vaccination's are better than cures.

The biggest thing to remember is don't get c0cky. Once your head goes above your riding ability you are an accident waiting to happen.

A word of warning though... advanced courses can make you feel like you're invulnerable due to the skills you acquire. Keep your head in check no matter what you learn.

Everybody says they will be sensible on a motorcycle but realistically once most people get to twist the throttle on a bike that hits a 100 in less than 3 seconds, their powers of control get severely tested.

In saying all that though, you will get alot of joy out of riding and if you keep your head in the game you will do very well for yourself. There are riders out there who have not come off and are very sensible riders.

Heed the warnings and get into the groove and you will be fine.

Motorcycles are awesome and you won't regret taking it up! ;)
  11. very good advice N4R.
    As you say my main focus, like most noobs, should be on courses and practice to help build the skill level. I am level headed enough though to know that just because I do a course I am not bullet proof, I know that I am always going to be able to improve my riding in some way. NR is a great way for noobs like me to stay grounded as we can see from countless threads how it can all turn very bad very quickly for even the most experienced riders. So, when I do get my bike (2 weeks and counting), I will be doing my absolute best to ensure that when I get a goodbye kiss from my partner before work each day, I will be getting a welcome home kiss 9 hours later.

oh...and I cant bloody wait to get my bike!!!!!

12. Not4Resale, what a nice sensible young man you are...all should heed his advice....too true, especially this last week...warm roads, sticky pre-warmed tires...finally after months of rain, traction at last....overconfidence will bite you, keep it in check.

and +1 for ATGATT in bed
  13. it's too simplification however true it is
  14. I'm dealing with this at the moment too (getting the bike tomorrow), as my wife is so fearful of losing me due to an accident. My approach so far has to been to talk to her about my "learning to ride" plan (back street practice, rider courses, and Netrider rides) and also safety gear. I need to assure her that i'm not just going to get a bike and hoon off down a busy fwy without any experience, etc.

As too family, i'm sure they will all have something to say too (when they find out), but my approach will be to ask them "if they have formed their opinions from their own experiences or extensive research??" If not, they can STFU and i'll ignore them.

Obviously i have different responses for different people, as I have to live with my wife, but not with the family.
  15. I've been told that a couple of times. Funnily enough, when I first told my mum she was like "Oh that's fine"
    Over the next week she was totally against it. Then after that she worked out a comprimise with me and then I ended up getting it.

Although, all my friends are saying the same thing..except the few that ride and at work hehe
  16. I have said it before.
    I was a rider at the time, and I still said it.
    The story goes a little like this… I had a friend come to me saying he wanted to get a bike and asking me to teach him to ride. I had been in a car with him, and his observation skills just weren’t up to it. So I said to him “Matt don’t get a bike you are going to kill yourself out there” He was adamant so I taught him what I could. I explained what I saw as the risks for him. He got his licence, he got his bike. He eventually sold the bike and came back to me saying “You were right, if I stayed out there on the bike I was going to kill myself” This friend has matured a lot since and is now considering getting back on a bike, I wouldn’t give him the same advice.

In terms of the context in which you ask the question though, have a look at the numbers posted in the 'Children riding motorbikes a form of abuse' thread https://netrider.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=107080
    Motorcycling isn’t the most risky pastime you can engage in…

So… With all of this in mind, the real key is learning to ride to survive. There are 3 key things that will bring you undone on a bike.
    The first is riding above your ability. As N4R said
    You have to work up to using everything you have got with a bike or you are very likely to make a mess of it.
    The second is the other Numpties out there. “But that is outside my control” I hear you say. Bovine Excrement is my response. When you are out on the road you can just ride along oblivious to what is going around you, or you can proactively look for the risks and maximise your survival space, proactively prepare for things going astray, and so on (There are some good threads on surviving on these boards)
    The third key factor is Environmental variables or Not riding to the conditions. In simple terms, if you are unsure slow the F#$k down. There are threads on these boards of some very experienced riders being caught out by these, but that is not to say they are totally outside of your control. You have to pay attention to things like rainbows on the road, leaves and sticks, feel out the road surface before you get to the nasty corners, and so on.
    Always remember that injury statistics include every type of rider part of the trick is practicing the skills that keep you out of those numbers.
  17. ..everyone seems to want to tell you the bad side of riding a motorbike.. but no one (apart from other bike enthusiasts), will tell you all the good things.

Got talking to a complete stranger in a car park last week... he proceeded to tell me about all his friends who had accidents or were killed on bikes... then smirked and said "I hope I haven't put you off?"..... for the record, no he didnt!.

Even close friends made comments about me only having a short time left, some mockingly shook my hand and said it was nice knowing me!! :shock:

But you know, a few people have confided that if they had the guts to... they would love to ride a motorbike!!... but are too scared. I'm pleased that I have the guts to!! :woot:
  18. I'm new to riding, just bought my first bike about a week ago and will be practicing in the back streets before I even attempt quiet traffic. Sure, people tell me all the time the dangers and risks of riding and stories of people they know who have broken bones and had extremely lucky escapes from serious injury.
    Rather than get annoyed, take on every story you hear and keep it in mind when you are riding. I think that being aware of what can happen can only increase your chance of survival on the roads.
    Besides, they're probably only telling you all of this because they care for your safety.

And just quietly, I think if anything, riding a bicycle is a hell of a lot more dangerous. I ride through the abomination that is Kew junction on the way to work every week and have come so close to being clipped by turning cars or cars trying to get around me when there's a tram beside them, not to mention nearly getting wiped out by a bus that decided to cut me off. At least with a motorbike you have an engine to help you out of trouble.
  19. Ahhh Cycling through Kew junction, what a fun game that is. Reminds me of playing British Bulldogs, Except with cars instead of the school bully trying to mow you down. I remember getting prepped to olly onto the bonnet of a Mercedes as I thought they were about to swing into my path. Luckily they backed off and gave me braking room
  20. Buy a bike and you will die.

Oh we all die anyway.