Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

'Don't cut the corner kaant!'

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' at netrider.net.au started by MV, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Cycling to work today, I am riding down a fairly busy back street in Seddon, I hear a car coming up behind, there is also a corner coming up that I need to make, so I signal a r/h turn, move into the middle of the road & make the turn.

Move back into the bicycle lane & the abuse starts.

I hear some screaming behind me, essentially 'Don't cut the corner you c*nt!', which a few superlative insults & curses thrown in.

Now, normally I am the essence of calm, I am one with the universe, but I haven't ridden a motorcycle for 10 weeks, things are getting a little strained in the sanity department, after a bit this guys is starting to give me the shits, so, being in a calm a rational mind, I figure I'll flip him the bird.

That will calm the situation down. :---)

Maybe not. This guy goes into overdrive on the abuse, now I've got an enraged driver in a weapon, behind me, I'm on a bicycle, & there is nowhere to run. Not a great move.

The car goes past & it's actually the passenger who's been righteously violated. This guy is leaning, literally out of the car, screaming at me. Now, I can't quite see froth forming on his mouth, but at this point, I'm pretty sure it's there.

The car drives onward, this guy is still screaming, & I being the enlightened, calm person that I am, can't help but smile as they drive off. I mean, there's a person right there who has much bigger issues than I, that's cheered up my day a little, licence or no licence.

Well, this doesn't go down to well, by now the car is about 100m in front of me, & he has convinced the driver to pull over, directly in my path. the passengers door is open & he's halfway out of the car. :blackeye:

About this time, I remember the video camera that I have mounted to my bike, for just such an occasion, & I also remember it's at home, on my computer desk... :cry:

So, there I am, about to get stomped at 8 o'clock in the morning by a guy with roid rage or haven't had my coffee rage or can't get his cock up rage or... I have no idea. Doesn't this guy know fighting is so 3am outside of a club in the city?

Where was I? Oh yes, the car is pulled over & I'm about to get the shit kicked out of me. :facepalm:

I look around the right hand side of the car, but there's traffic coming, no go there. It's a pretty wide road where the car is stopped I figure I've got enough room to go around the left hand side of the car & keep moving, so I hold my line swerve around him at the last second, to which I get 'Stop you fat f*ck'.

Now that hurts, come on man, I'm riding a bicycle, what more do you want? Less curries & beer? Tell him he's dreaming :)

So now, I'm back on the road with the enraged passenger now behind me again.

8-[

I watch my back for a bit, but that's pretty much the end of it, the car starts again & tails me for a little, but there's more traffic around now & lose them, make my usual turn off & they're gone.

I often wonder what turns people into complete douches when they get into a car, I am no closer to knowing. :-k

If someone on a foot cuts us off, it's more polite than a garden tea party at the queens house, as soon as someone gets in a car, they turn into a drooling neanderthal without two brains cell to rub together & a vocabulary consisting of expletives.

Anyway, I'm still here. :nopity:

• Like Like x 3
  2. :rofl: Curries?!?! lol Well written.

MV, you absolutely had a right to take the main position on the road to make your turn. Most of the roads in seddon are suburban streets, one way each way roads.

Can you imagine the rage if you turned right from the left position on the road?? :tantrum:

The stupid thing is (well one of many) is that the driver wasted more time letting his passenger go mental than you caused by momentarily holding him up.

Wish you had your camera, that would have been GOLD!!

3. If you know Seddon, it was almost at Tandoori flames ;)

I know what you mean Rob, I had a think about it, at first, couldn't get WTF he was on about, then 5 minutes later I realised what he was banging on about.

The car behind me was either turning or going straight, if it was turning, no worries, he can turn behind me, if it's going straight there's a fair chance of ending up on the bonnet trying to turn right from the bike lane.

Cameras going back on the bike full time.

4. Yeah I wonder about this too, I think it is the anonymity (false) a car gives you. Comparing people in cars to pedestrians is like comparing 4chan to facebook.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I know nothing of this 4chan... :-w

6. So DID you cut the corner? And if so, was he inconvenienced?

7. Yes, I did, how else would you turn right from the bicycle lane?

Like I said, he was either turning, in which case, no problem, or he was going straight, in which case if I didn't, I would have ended up as a hood ornament.

No, I find cars are about the same speed as a bicycle through these corners, then accelerate past.

8. Did you get this guy's number plate? I'm guessing you didn't as you didn't mention it, but geez it's frustrating that guys like that can get away with going berserk at a stranger who is following the rules.

9. Nah mate, aside from just wanting to save my skin, I am dubious about a) what the Police could do & b) what they're inclined to do. I expect it would be nowt on both counts.

Then again, I could have claimed they were speeding, that would chuck a rocket up the coppers! :rofl:

10. I had a similar experience.

Driving to work today, I am cruising down a fairly busy back street in Seddon, I see a cyclist coming up, so I signal to overtake him, I move into the middle of the road & try to go past.

At the last moment he waves his arm and weaves into the middle of the road to take a corner. What a f*ckwit.

I follow him so my mate in the passenger seat can give him a talking to, as he moves back into the bicycle lane.

My mate calls out "I say old chap, how about not cutting me off to take a corner, hey what?", perhaps with a polite reference to questionable parentage to punctuate the danger of his manoeuvre.

Now, normally my mate is the essence of calm, he's one with the universe, but he hasn't been able to ride his Mrs for 10 weeks following an unfortunate tank slapper incident, still, he keeps his powder dry in the sanity department, that is of course until the cyclist decides to flip him the bird.

The pushie rider goes into overdrive, peddling like a loon and looking like he's about to have a heart attack (I think he'd had a few too many curry & beer lunches), so anyway, I've got an insane rider in front of me looking like a danger to himself and others, I'm in a car though and figure I can catch him up and calm him down before he does something stupid. Not a great move.

I go past but my mate feels quite righteously violated, having been given the bird without good cause. Still, he keeps it well enough together and leans out of the car, keen to educate this lunatic on the perils of bicycle misadventure. Now, I can't see the wall eyed fearful expression on his face, but at this point, I'm pretty sure it's there. :eek:hno:

I think it's pointless for me and my mate to try to talk to this lunatic and drive onwards, my mate tells me he can't believe how crazy some riders are, and as we calm and rational people drive away we can see the bonkers bike rider grinning maniacally and looking like he just escaped from an asylum. I mean, there's a person right there who has some seriously big issues.

Well, by now the bike is about 100m behind of me, & my mate has convinced me to pull over, so he can make sure this guy isn't actually two snags short of a BBQ. He opens his door & he's halfway out of the car to have a quiet chat with this nutter.

About this time, I remember the sexy underwear my girlfriend was wearing when she left for work this morning, it's my birthday, so a special occasion, & I also remember my camera is at my parents home, charging on my computer desk... :(

So, there I am, on my way to work at 8 o'clock in the morning, stopping to help educate a guy with a chemical imbalance or schizophrenic paranoia or insanity brought on by too tight spandex shorts crushing his junk or... I have no idea. Doesn't this guy know cycling is supposed to be calming?

Where was I? Oh yes, I've pulled over & my mate is braving being run down just to make sure this guy doesn't injure himself or someone else on his thin whirling wheels of disaster.

I see him look around the right hand side of the car, probably to see if he can make a run at me but there's traffic coming, so I'm safe. It's a pretty wide road where the car is stopped & I figure I've left him more than enough room to go around the left hand side of the car if he doesn't want to chat, anyway he stays on his line and peddles straight at my mate, thank God he swerved around him at the last second, to which my mate said "Hey, hang on a minute my rotund fellow, there's no need for this behaviour."

Anyway as we see this lunatic ride away, we can just tell him he's off in dream land, probably thinking of curry and beer.

So now, I'm back on the road with the psychotic cyclist riding off into the distance.

I watch out for him for a bit, but that's pretty much the end of it, there's no point getting any closer to him now, and there's more traffic around so they have to deal with this guy, he takes a turn & he's gone.

I often wonder what turns people into complete douches when they get onto a bicycle, I am no closer to knowing.

If someone in a car cuts you off, you toot the horn and they give a little apologetic wave, it's more polite than a garden tea party at the queens house, as soon as someone gets on a bike, they turn into a manic road hog without two brains cell to rub together & a tendency to flip the bird at those of us who dare to drive on their roads! :angel:

Anyway, I'm still here.

:twisted:

• Like Like x 10
  11. Cant say I am a fan of most pushie riders. Sorry MV to tag all riders the same
    FFS I live in Noosa and the pricks are all over the road all day. But @4.30 - 5.00am when I am on my way to work and they are all over the road........Every main road up here has a bike lane. But that's not enough for them.
    Seriously it's beyond a joke with them up here. Often I will see them 4 to 6 wide across the road. Pfffhhht. And there is a perfectly good bike lane going to waste. That is just arrogance personified.
    Sorry but if I am on my bike I will push them into the gutter if they are riding in my lane for no reason.
    And yes I do stop if they want to take it further.
    The worst and most foolish is the guy who rides right on the edge of the line. Leaving him and his bars sitting in the other lane. That is just asking for some poor old coot to hit them. They go where they look and they see you half in their lane they look at you. And that's where they go.

12. Post Deleted.

13. OMG thats' the biggest coincidence ever!!! what are the odds.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sometimes Bretto61, the safest place for a cyclist to be is not in the range of suddenly opening car doors. Just because it's a bike lane doesn't make it safe.

Unfortunately the consequences of an an accident are always worse for a cyclist, so at times what is perceived by motorists as selfishness is a survival instinct not motivated by arrogance.

• Like Like x 1

15. Bretto, are you telling us that at 5am when the roads are empty, you can't get your car or bike around a posse of cyclists?? I thought you had skillz bro.

And are you telling us that just cause they're bending the rules and making use of the empty roads, that that is reason enough to force a rider into the gutter which will result in potentially serious injury? :?

Fark me, you sound like a car driver talking about motorcyclists. I thought you were cooler than that mate.

PhilC, that was hilarious ol' chap. :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. And holding up and pissing off motorised road users is? I dont mind cyclists... as long as theyre no where near me.

17. I can see your point.
    But where it happens there are no side roads. It's a perfectly clean bike lane. No traffic nothing.
    That's what makes me so mad. If there was any danger to them then yep no worries could not care. I will make room for them.
    But if I am on it and using all my lane and then come around a blind corner and here are the tossers all over the road doing twenty at best....
    Using the road is a privilege. It's not your right. It's not your road and you pay nothing on a push bike to use or repair it.
    On the road food chain you guys are dragging the bottom. Learn some respect or it will get worse. Enough of you get hurt and the Gov will start helping you too.
    Things like rego and licensing. Oh and don't forget the fines. And then the regulations start. The red tape.

18. It boggles my mind how often this hoary chestnut gets lurgied out into the open. Rego doesn't pay for roads... but if it were true, then I pay car and bike regos... and also my share of taxes... are you telling my I can't ride my bicycle on the road that I've helped pay for in at least three ways? :-k

I'm gonna leave the rest alone... for the sake of the thread.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Reminds me of this...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  20. Have we met?

=D>

Mate, that's classic, top stuff!