Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

dominating the moto gp and kawasaki.

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by cameron, Apr 20, 2007.

1. why is it that the kawasaki is unable to keep up with the competition on the worlds leading motorcycle events like moto gp? theyve never won a championship, and its like they dont even exist.

also, is rossi simply that good? how important is rider skill in motogp? is the differentiation between skill levels of the top level that big? or at the top top level, is the podium simply decided by who builds the fastest bike?

school me.
  2. Kawasaki dont put in one tenth of what other teams do,only been back in it for a couple of years,dont right them of they are doin ok in the 600 class and eventually will get a really good rider and get some results :grin:
  3. They don't have the money that the other manufacturers do. Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha all have big name brands in many market verticals and are much bigger companies. Kawasaki do bikes, jet skis and some agricultural stuff.

I don't think they sell as many bikes as the other manufacturers either, which is why their spare parts divisions, for instance, don't offer the same economies of scale.

Anyway, they simply don't have the money to inject into keeping their stuff up with the likes of Honda, that throw millions and millions at it... And are still embarrassed by the poorer Yamaha who forked out the money for the gun rider.
  4. It's because they are comparatively tiny and therefore have a tiny budget..Suzy suffer from much the same handicap.

Rossi has proved beyond reasonable doubt that rider-skill still has some baring on performance although it's important to remember that a good rider does much more than ride quickly.
  5. Cameron. You ask many a complicated questions that would require many a beer and bar fight to resolve.

I try to start with the Kawasaki situatian first. I as I like to say, It's Not Easy Being Green. They are simply the most underfunded of the Japanese teams, and any changes that the bike requires simply take longer to arrive from the factory. If Honda want a different chassis to wieght the front tire more, they build it, test it and if it is faster, they will race it. They can often achieve this in a two race turn around whereas Kawasaki due to there lower funds could take several more races, and they often test new parts during a race weekend. As for World SBK, the ZX-10 might be the worlds most powerful in-line 4, but it can't get the power down to the ground well, and that makes it slow.

Yes Rossi is that good.

Rider skill is very important, but on any given Sunday, if a rider from a factory team, nails setup, traction control and tire choice, they can win a race. That leaves 8-10 riders with a chance of winning at every race (Better tha F1 huh?). Bike speed helps, but setup, electronics and tire choice rule.

You owe me a six pack... :wink:
  6. If you look at the big picture the motorcycle division is like pocket change to kawasaki,like to see honda build big ass ships as this is one of there main things as well as aerospace, trains, tractors, marine motors construction machinary and just about anything that is mechanical. :grin:
  7. Ducati, of course, have given lie to the notion that you need to be the biggest and richest to succeed in MotoGP.
    (You also need to know how to cheat! :LOL: )
  8. Yes Rider skill plays a huge role in Moto GP.

Just look at what Rossi has done. Switching to Yamaha (struggling and poor performing team) and winning a championship in his first year of contract! Put Rossi on a anything with 2 wheels and he'll probably win.
  9. I think that we're also underestimating the massive impact that the engineers play. When Rossi went to Yamaha, he brought Jeremy Burgess with him, and with Jeremy, 20 years of race winning experience spanning the careers of multiple world champion riders.

Motorcycle racing at the top-level is a team sport. Yes, Rossi is a great rider, but when coupled with a great engineer who knows how to solve problems quickly and get the bike set up right for each track, then that is what really works.

If you look back over the last 20 years at how many wins that Jeremy Burgess has been behind, it really is quite staggering.
  10. Um thats not quite right mate, I did not know the other manufactures built Submerines for example. Perhaps the clue is in the Kawasaki name.....Kawasaki Heavy Industry LTD.

the company division may be small to its competitors and this may be the reason why they only place a portional amount of money towards this small department.
  11. Kawasaki can't compete on the same level for two major resons. 1) as everyone else has said they don't have the cash for the bike and its development. 2 Kawasaki bikes in the field and how many... 6 hondas (well 7 if you count the engine in the Kenny Roberts bike) means development will be quicker because every race, every test you have three 3x the amount of infomation coming in.
    2) Kawasaki have two french riders. no explaination needed.
  12. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: