Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

doing a bit of research

Discussion in 'Scooters' at netrider.net.au started by CoffeeMan, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Hi everyone

I am a cafe owner/barista living in Berowra NSW. My cafe is in St Leonards. Thats approx 60km round trip 5 days a week on relatively good roads ranging from 60kph to 80kph speed limits. There is the F3 of course but 110kph might be a bit of overkill.

I am 6'4" height and about 85 - 90kg weight (all muscle?)

I need a scooter that has storage for groceries
    A guy of my height can ride it without looking like a tool
    Can take a 60km trip for 5 days a week easily.

BTW Air cooled or liquide cooled... wots the pros and cons of each?

cheers for now and may all your flat whites be "waffier theeen"

2. BTW I haven't gotten my license yet... if that has any relevency at all

3. Possible Scooter for you

Hi CoffeeMan, I commute 60ks round trip each day on a Honda Forza. It is a large scooter with heaps of under seat storage space. I have only had it a few months, however I am quite pleased with it so far. I am about your size also, and felt that I was too big for many scooters. I recommend you look at one somewhere and I think you will be impressed.

Good luck with your search.

4. thanks Meldrew I will check one out. Is yours new or used?

I looked online and new they are $8K - $9K or second hand $5K - $6K. I have a tight budget so hoping to spend as little as possible... aren't we all?

Like the look ofthem though. My wife is about 5'6" so I was wondering if she could handle it?

5. all scooters are LAMS legal(havent seen one that isnt) so whatever you get youre likely to be able to ride it on learners. you'll probably be limited to the large scooters. e.g. honda forza, suzuki burgman, yamaha majesty. ive heard good things about the yamaha tmax thats a 500cc i think. all range in price from about 5K->10K.

i think procycles in hornsby has a limited range of scooters as the market so far north of sydney for scooters is small. the large scooters are quite happy on the freeway from what i have heard and seen. they are however difficult to do the preprovisional test on.

going only on what i have seen, most smaller scooters(anything without a screen) have a tough time at anything about 80kmh even though a 250 will do 110kmh. if you dont want to go on the freeway the peugeot elystar 150 is able to do 80+ comfortably from what i have heard.

6. My Forza is new, they are a bit pricey, however i am hoping it should last me a few years. The seat height is quite low so your wife should be okay. The remote keyless locking and starting is much handier than I would have ever thought also.

I am not sure about reliability in the long run, however a Bolwell Firenze is another one you could look at. They are around 3k cheaper than the Honda.

7. Check out the Bergman 250. It will be L's compatible and have ample room for a tall guy and stuff you need to carry.
    A bit on the pricey side though!

8. I have a italjet dragster 180cc

it will do 140kmh stock so f3 no worrys. but storage is abit tight. i can fit my helmet under the seat,but not a whole lot more