Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Doing a 4000km service myself, advice wanted.

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by moforila, Feb 20, 2008.

1. I own a Hyosung GT250, it was purchased at bikebiz parramatta at the end of 2006. I and the owner before me have put 4000km on it, and its had a 1000km service.

I obtained a quote from BikeBiz for a 4000km service, $300 + parts. Now from what I can tell a service at 4000km requires a oil change, change of oil and air filter and other minor safety checks.

Considering I earn $20/hour this job seems more then worth my time. I have no experience with servicing bikes or cars, in fact I have never changed the oil on the car I drive (dad always does it).

However I am fairly technically minded, learn quickly and I don't mind investing my time into learning how to service a bike.

I just got a few questions,

Should I attempted this myself?

BikeBiz said If I service the bike it needs to be done by a Hyosung dealer or the warranty will be void. Will they know the bike was serviced?

What are the chances I totally stuff things up, and the bike blows up and kills me and everyone around me.?

How long would this take a noob like me to do?
  2. Oil and filter change is pretty easy to do, but there's 2 reasons I'd advise caution:

1) Hyos are well known for their quality issues, some of which may be able to be caught early by a good mechanic doing a proper inspection.

2) That warranty card may end up being your best friend. Even if they can't legally require you to get services done professionally (and for all I know they can) you don't want to go making it harder for yourself if you end up having to use it.

$300 seems steep, maybe get some other quotes from people familiar with Whoflungs?
  3. Doesn't have to be done by a Hyosung dealer, in fact fairly sure there's a law specifically prohibiting them from insisting on that. However servicing done by anyone other than a qualified mechanic could well void the warranty - you'd need to read the fineprint and see what it says. Given it's a Hyo I'd be paying to get it done, fair chance you might need that warranty.

Once it's out of warranty period though a basic oil/filter change is pretty basic and there's really no reason not to do it yourself.
  4. Don't forget that there are other things that a good service includes (apart from the capuccinos):

Adjustment of cables, levers, chain, maybe idle speed and mixture.

You will need to purchase a device to drain the oil into, otherwise you have to do it late at night over one of those drainage grates on the edge of the road.

You will have to find a way to dispose of the oil other than taking it to the street drags at silverwater...

And so on

Trevor G
  5. Just sell the fcuker and buy a REAL bike .

kidding .. :p
    I've come across quite a few guys who have had issues with the GT250, so to prevent issues in the future, I'd take Loz's advice and have it looked at by someone who is familiar with Hyosungs.
  6. How would they be able to prove that the bike was serviced? I could just say I have not had the bike serviced, therefor the service book is empty.

I have about 8 months remaining on the warranty and the bike is going into the workshop for a chagrining system problem. I don't think It is likely that I will see another problem within 8 months, so I feel its worth doing the service myself.

As far as the quality concerns go I can't really say much, since this Hyo is the first bike I have owned. However I have not had any major issues and I am pretty happy with a new bike for $5500.

How much is a oil filter? How much is a air filter? Can I find the codes for these parts in the manuals? Does any one know the codes here?

Can anyone provided any tutorials on how to get started.
  7. VCM, LOL...I will when I get my Full license but until then I want to try learn a few things about bikes and try not spend 1/10 the bikes value on getting a service which seems piss easy.
  8. How about doing the oil/filter change yourself and getting a dealer to do the rest ?? You'd save $$ and still get your service book stamped.
  9. Yeah and if something goes wrong with the bike and there's no record of it having being serviced when it was supposed to then they just blame that for causing the problem - ie no warranty.
  10. Oh sorry, this is one of those "what's your advice, because I've already made up my mind" threads. I wish you'd let us know earlier.
  11. Get it done where you got it so that WHEN it stuffs up they can't blame it on you - because they WILL try.
  12. jd, are you sure thats how the warranty works? That you "have to" get it serviced for it to be under warranty?

Loz, I was asking in terms of difficulty of the job. The reason I still think I should do it is because the warranty does not really concern me.

What would concern me would be if people would say something like, "No way a service like that would be way too hard for a noob, you could stuff up xyz and you sound way to newbie to attempt this.

As far as the warranty getting voided I am not too fussed.
  13. He's joking about this part.....

(if he's not he should be considered target practise for late night street drag roo-bar runs)
  14. Are you doing this service for fun or is it in line with the specified service schedule? If the book says it needs a service at 4000 and you haven't got it marked in the book by a qualified mechanic then you will void your warranty. You'd have a better chance to say you did it yourself than to say it never happened.

Yes, he'd be sure and he'd be right.
  15. Ummm... losing your 2 year warranty (and being a hyosung you 90% chance WILL NEED IT) doesn't phase you? What are you smoking!?

Just don't come bitching back bitching when your bike disintegrates and the dealer refuses to fix it because you voided the warranty. FYI in most warranties you can get it serviced anywhere thats properly licensed and maintain the warranties, its only in the most iron clad ones that insist it has to be done at the dealership that you bought it from. If you don't know, check. Even then, don't do it unless you are a mechanic and have the license because as I said, you don't want a massive paperweight.
  16. Seany, well that changes things a bit. I wasn't in the know at it had too.

The bike is now at 4050km, and its had its 1000km service.

phizog, I am losing 8 months warranty if I got ahead with it, I have been smoking a bit of pot but I am still wondering where the 90% failure figure comes from?

Also, I have this view of most mechanics as being lazy bums that pass the work onto 2nd year apprentices that don't take pride in there work and just do a shit job.

Anyway, since I am not starting to think the a qualified service is a good idea, whats some name and numbers of good mechanics in Sydney? I live in the hills area. Is the Castle Hill Motorcycles place any good?
  17. I've been there twice before and they are the only mechanics that I trust. I've gone to servicing my own bike, muchas more satisfying.

Don't pay any attention to the owners of places like that, it'll get passed onto an apprentice. The young guys there are good value for money, and seem to care a great deal more than other apprentices that've touched my bike. They also have a good turn around time and straight up and down with their pricing.
  18. apart from not having your warranty book filled out, i'd say do it yourself

judging from personal experiences, you have a better chance of getting a professional service by doing it yourself and forgetting all about BikeBiz
  19. That's what I did ....
    Do the oil and filter change yourself (don't forget the oil screen - if there is one) and take it for a (the) service - just tell them what youve done. Use the recommended oil and filter (around $ 75 ) and it saves you a few bucks on the service . I did the same with my Kawa VN900... I was told 6000 k service would be around 230 bucks . When I picked it up at the stealership (where I bought it from in Brisbane) I paid all up $ 99.50 !! How's that ?!?

20. Service

As a previous job I was Service Manager at a dealership. To keep your warranty you must have your bike serviced by a QUALIFIED motor mechanic. It does not have to be done at the dealership where you purchased the bike. Your service book must be stamped by the servicing mechanic/workshop. If you don't follow these guidelines and there is a warranty problem, they have a legal right not to honour any existing warranty. It's up to you but I'd try to keep warranty on my bike.