Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Doh! The Kill Switch

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by RobE, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Running late for a meeting.

The bike starts like a charm, as usual. I push in the choke a little and get organised to paddle out of the garage and, it stalls.

Push the starter, nothing.

Try different choke amounts, try different amounts of throttle, nothing. And now I can hear the battery is starting to suffer.

Take off the safety gear, unload the bag, drive the wagon to the meeting.

Get home. Push starter, still nothing. Decide the problem has to be electrics. Pull the plugs; they are dry and clean. Think about it instead of just fiddling about.

Yup, knocked the kill switch. Switch to "run", no probs. Quick up the mountain and back for the sake of the bike's battery and my soul.

2. I'd get something checked, battery shouldn't be turning over if the kill switch is off :?

3. I've done the same thing Rob. I didn't even think of the kill switch because it sounds like the starter was ticking over. I ended up running the battery out before I realised and had to roll start... :shock:

4. prolly a single point kill switch, cuts ignition only.

5. I always kill the engine with the kill switch, so i've made it a habit of flicking it on to run before starting the bike. But as toecutter said, it's interesting that you were even able to start the thing :?

6. This is the reason people should have to pass a very basic engineering exam to gain a licence for car / bike / boat / aircraft (which is done!)

7. I managed to hit the kill switch whilst travelling at 80kmph (was fiddling with my right hand glove) :oops:
    Luckily realised what I'd done & just flicked it back on again ....... bike didn't miss a beat - gotta love the VTR250 :)
    But not something that I'm willing to repeat on the SV .........

8. That would probably have avoided the issue I had, but I really wouldn't have expected the engine to kick over when the kill switch is active...

9. Me too, if I remember correctly this is the method taught during pre-learners.

10. Hondas do, and some other bikes. Most brands don't turn the starter if the kill is 'killed' though.

If you haven't had that experience where you thought you had a breakdown when it was really the kill switch, you haven't been riding long enough :grin:

11. I also kill the engine with my kill switch, but as soon as the engine cuts out I flick it back to run so I dont forget it when I try to start it.

For some reason(prob a habit), I tend to take a glance at the kill switch everytime before I hit the starter switch. This ensures that I dont try to start the bike with the kill switch on.

12. Happened to me the other day, first time ever it diddn't start ( being a Honda)
    realised i must have bumped the kill switch :oops:

Another time when still on my Ls was riding along and knocked it, put it back to run and she let out an almighty BANG! :shock:

13. i'm going to try explain how a killswitch works for those above who
    don't seem to understand what is going on, anyone correct me if i'm wrong.

how to "kill" an engine:

1. cut power to the ignition coils = no spark
    2. cut power to the starter motor = no kicking over

Usually a killswitch will do both of the above, or just the 1st method.

the reason for the backfire is your engine is oblivious to the lack of spark and will squirt fuel in there anyway, which in turn will flow fresh fuel/air mix into your exhaust so the next time your engine sparks up the hot exhaust will ignite the fuel air mix in the exhaust and kaboom! :)

14. I hate the way the Hondas will turn over but not start on the kill switch. Makes you think there is a different problem, and lets you flatten the battery before you realise. My current Yamaha is better, it won't turn
    over and it lights up every light on the dash like a Christmas tree, if I press the starter while the kill is open. So I know straight away.

That's a normal result, the unburned fuel collects in the exhaust and when you turn the switch back on it ignites. Some bikes do it more/louder than others, due mainly to exhaust design. If you do it repeatedly, or with a rusted exhaust, you could damage your muffler.

15. Simialr to what happened to me, when I bought the Cagiva I road it down to the local tavern to see if any of my mates where around.

No one there so I get my gear back on, its about 5:30 and getting dark. Start engine, fine, engage first gear, stalls. Try three more times, always stalls.

Thought maybe the clutch isn't engaging properly so adjust clutch cable, no help. After half an hour, I'm thinking I may have to push it home, about 1.5 km.

Old bloke about 70 comes past, looks at me stalling the bike and mentions slowly, he remembers in the old days that the european bikes wouldn't let you engage first gear with the sidestand down DOH!

Always something simple to mess up your ride :mad:

16. A couple of years ago, Mrs Tree called the local bike shop (five minutes down the road) to see if they could come over and get her bike started. No fire at all. Not even turning over.

The guy came over, jumped on it, pulled the clutch in, hit the starter and "bang" away it went.

The problem? She had it in gear and wasn't pulling the clutch in when trying to start it.

It's the little things that'll get ya! :LOL:

17. Yes it can be embarrassing and dangerous.

Especially when riding over the westgate and i adjusted the mirror on the Boulevard and have hit the kill switch without realising. Luckily i was in the left lane and moved straight to stopping lane. So after 5 min of thinking what has happened, i soon noticed kill switch was where it shouldnt be. I was soon on my way.. :oops:

18. I don’t mean to hijack the topic but why do you kill the engine with the kill switch? I was taught at Q-ride to turn the ignition key to "off" (maybe just to save the learner bike batteries). The method I use is never to even look at the kill switch, always use the key... which makes me wonder why is it even there.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

19. This was the way i was taught at my L's course. Of course they also added in the part about not forgetting to turn the ignition off aswell.

.... Now that i think about it, i can't really remember if he had a reason for always using the kill switch. May have been something to do with safety or not accidentally starting it somehow if you just wanna get the lights going or something, can't really remember. Oh well, each to their own.

20. I always turn off with my key so as I don't have to mess with the kill switch. However some bikes the key is really hard to get at and you need to use the kill before reaching down/in/around/behind to get the key.