Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Does your name have a meaning?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Loz, Jun 5, 2007.

1. The only reason I ask is because Chengaleng just found out what her full chinese name means:

"Preserve the leek flower."

None of this "precious jade," or "innocent this" or "glorious that..." Preserve the leek flower. I think there's something in that for all of us :grin: :p :LOL:

2. My name (Emilia) means industrious

3. Matti = Gift Of God

Very apt I think :p :p
  4. And you, my darling Loz...

"From the Roman cognomen Laurentius, which meant "of Laurentum". Laurentum was a city in ancient Italy, its name probably deriving from Latin laurus "laurel". Saint Laurence was a 3rd-century deacon and martyr from Rome. According to tradition he was roasted alive on a gridiron because, when ordered to hand over the church's treasures, he presented the sick and poor."

Smartarse by name, smartarse by history.

How about an alternative meaning, "still much loved by Chengaleng."

I'll preserve YOUR bloody leek flower...
  5. David = Beloved
    And lets face it... everyone loves me :)
  6. Feminine form of Pius:

Late Latin name meaning "pious, dutiful". This was the name of twelve popes.

The one from Disneyland sounded so much better :( :LOL:
  7. Peter: The Rock.

And I do. :cool:
  8. JAKE = short for JACOB:

From the Latin Jacobus, which was from the Greek Ιακωβος (Iakobos), which was from the Hebrew name יַעֲקֹב (Ya'aqov). In the Old Testament, Jacob (later called Israel) is the son of Isaac and Rebecca and the father of the twelve founders of the twelve tribes of Israel. He was born holding his twin brother Esau's heel, and his name is explained as meaning "holder of the heel" or "supplanter". Other theories claim that it is in fact derived from a hypothetical name like יַעֲקֹבְ×ֵל (Ya'aqov'el) meaning "may God protect".

It isn't even interesting! :LOL:
  9. Holder of the heel :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  10. "From the Hebrew name ×ַהֲרֹן ('Aharon) which is most likely of unknown Egyptian origin. Other theories claim a Hebrew derivation, and suggest meanings such as "high mountain" or "exalted". In the Old Testament Aaron was the older brother of Moses and the first high priest of the Israelites."

great... thanks mum and dad :oops: they could've atleast looked past the first name in the baby names book :roll:
  11. JASON

Usage: English, Greek Mythology (Latinized), Biblical

Pronounced: JAY-sun (English) [key]

From the Greek name Ιασων (Iason), which was derived from Greek ιασθαι (iasthai) "to heal". Jason was the leader of the Argonauts in Greek legend. He went in search of the Golden Fleece in order to win back his kingdom from his uncle Pelias. During his journeys he married the sorceress Medea, who helped him gain the fleece and kill his uncle, but who later turned against him when he fell in love with another woman. This name is also used in Acts in the New Testament to translate the Hebrew name Joshua.
  12. "From a Scottish surname meaning "crooked nose" from Gaelic cam "crooked" and sròn "nose". The Camerons were one of the great Highland clans."

I must have come out of the womb and hit the floor on the way down.
  13. Well, at least that means that potato and leek soup will remain on menus around the world :LOL:

Paul means little. Big deal :rofl:
  14. Origin: Old English

Meaning: from the headland farm or fenced settlement..

15. Benjamin - son of the right hand.

so whoever invented the name is obviously denying paternity due to conception being, somewhat solo, and somewhat of a mishap?
  16. Of Greek origin, and its meaning is "man, warrior".

meh...nothing greek about me.
  17. When my name was chosen the Beetles where touring Australia so when I arrived 4 weeks later I was named Paul.

Every morning when I wake I thank the gods that my Mother didn't fancy Ringo :rofl:
  18. Named after Cecil Wormsborough St. John "Nobby" Nobbs, a character in the Discworld novels of Terry Pratchett.

Nobby Nobbs is the kind of person who joins the army to loot corpses. He is honest about the big things (at least, the ones too big to steal) and is described as someone that you can trust with your life, although you'd be daft to trust him with half a dollar. He is described as untidy, smelly, and despite being human, about the same height as a dwarf, and carrying a certificate signed by the Patrician to prove that he's a human being.
  19. Woah, going a bit far there!!! Describing Nobby Nobbs as a "person" and all... :LOL:
  20. Scott: From Scotland