Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Does your bike influence how other drivers treat you?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by HeezaGeeza, Jul 7, 2012.

1. So I have two bikes - a Triumph Bonneville and a CB600F. I ride pretty much the same style on both (although a little faster on the Hornet).

I've noticed that if I commute on the Bonny, I have no issues at all when it comes to filtering or riding in general (touch wood) but when I go in on the Hornet drivers seems to take issue with me filtering on occasion.

Maybe people see the Bonny and think it's a classic old bike and give me more leeway for some reason - often letting me cut in or pull out, or they see the Hornet and think I'm a hoon - I don't know, but for me there seems a distinct difference in how other road users treat me depending on what I'm wearing.

Given many here have two bikes or more, I wondered if you've experienced the same thing.
  2. People that don't ride aren't that bright on what a classic bike is, especially people who get upset about filtering.

Chances are because the bonny looks more like a HD than a hornet they think you could be a bikie.

Tapa Tapa Tapa Tapa Tapa Tapa Tapa
  3. Yeah, I have heard similar stories from people who ride a cruiser and a sportsbike. Presumably they think someone riding a cruiser is more likely to beat them to death for blocking them from filtering.
  4. Everyone (read: everyone) wants to race me. And young adult passengers in cars get all crazy Exorcist baby-like turning their heads around the place to stare/check me and ma bike out/put the pressure on. Tradies are fascinated. Everybody wants to talk about her. Little kids and their parents huddle around her... vroom vroommmm (makes my day when I see father/son checking her out)! Everyone comes to ask what's wrong with the bike when I'm warming her up. Can't comment on the splitting/filtering side of things because I don't do it.

Quite comical now I think about it. I guess I'd be as curious if I saw another Aprilia or 2-banger on the road.
  5. Actually it's probably more the "hoon on a sportsbike" factor, I have gotten very little grief on my scooter, which is surprising given my bottom of the foodchain status.

Tapa Tapa Tapa Tapa Tapa Tapa Tapa
  6. I have no issues on the big yellow Beemer but regularly was cut off etc on the Honda cd250u
    But then again I was a novice rider back then and learning the ropes whereas now I can read the traffic and leave decent buffers, maybe it's the bike or my attitude.
    Who knows?
  7. Definitely get the feeling a lot of drivers are not impressed with me filtering, even if It's the relaxed kind.... I've often thought it might be related to my bike, the fact that It's an R1 with pipes, and my gear which is bright and pretty 'race gear' like.
    But.....I've never ridden anything other than sports bikes, so can't compare.....I just figured it'd be that way on any bike :p
  8. both mine are sportbikes, never really noticed a distinct attitude toward me on the 250, and i don't really hang around to cop lip from anyone on the 600
  9. It's an interesting observation, and I'd be most interested to see (not that you could find out) if the different attitudes between the Bonnie and the Hornet were conditioned by the people who SEE the bikes. My bet would be you'd get a bit more slack from older riders when you're on the Triumph because they can remember when they used to have one / brother had one,. etc, whereas the Hornet is today's bike and there's no nostalgic link

But, like theforgotten says, when I had my Hornet I never hung around long enough to gauge WHAT people thought, of it, or of my riding :LOL:
    • Like Like x 1
  10. well....
    when im riding i get pulled out on,
    when im in the 3 ton 4x4 ute, i get pulled out on,
    when im in the white ex-cop commodore or the hyundai getz..... actually im not shure, too busy flogging the crap out of it:p

i think that its just random, and maybe the time (as in time of day/week) your on the bonnie the drivers are less stressed and less in a rush
  11. riding a motard, regularly get people, in cars, pedestrians, all types yelling at me to do wheelies :)

it is tops.
  12. I have a similar sense to you HeezaGeeza, and I've spent decent time on a Hornet and on classic-styled bikes, such as my SR500, Royal Enfield, and W650 which (let's face it) out-Bonnies the Bonnie. I've had greasies from cops on the Hornet doing absolutely nothing, while never an issue with the others. Partly I think the experience (mine at least) is not
    Hornet = negative reactions
    W650 = neutral reactions
    but rather that the
    Hornet = negative reactions in some people, and
    W650 = positive reactions from people. It's quite noticeable, and pillions especially (I have my eyes on the road) comment on how a certain percentage of drivers show interest in the bike (perhaps assuming it's an old Bonneville).
    When I hold up people on my Bullet, they go past with grins on their faces. Try that on a modern bike!
    I know that I myself carry a little bit of an unfair stereotype - that "sports rider = kid" - within me, so it's no surprise if the non-riding public carry such attitudes unaware.
  13. Riding my GS500 get all sorts of problems. Nothing too serious, just annoying.

On my Harley, not as much. Plenty of people looking at it, especially after the new bars got put on.
  14. I would have to agree with HeezerGeezer to a point.
    Having ridden many styles of bike in my time on two wheels, with the later model sportsbike all are labeled as hoon, older bikes its the nostalgia factor. But with the HD riders, particularly loud ones I think its fear of OMC/1%, driven by the media.
  15. Hadn't considered the bikie gang angle but it does make sense. My Bonny is more of a cafe racer after some cosmetic changes but I suppose to the average cage driver they all look the same - sports bike or cruiser.

Plus my leather jacket with a Hells Angels patch and my giant beard probably has some effect too:grin:
  16. There are a lot of preconceptions out there. I personally agree with the sports bike hatred or disdain. Mainly because sports bike's attract more idiots, so the association has developed over years. I think also, that visually, sports bikes, due to the riding position, make the rider look 'aggressive', as if we have a bad attitude.

The bonny riding position appears to those same people to be non-aggressive, relaxed and calm. To one of the arskhole car drivers that has an attitude to bikes, you look like a 'good guy', so you actually get their respect, or what little they have.

I've noticed on both the blade and the 675, that if I 'appear' to be just calmly and respectfully making my way between the cars, I get a little respect. But if I'm in a bit of a hurry and start trying push my way through, then I get attitude.

Just my findings, that's all

Oh, and when some idiot tries to squeeze me. If it's too late to flip over to the other side, I just sit there quietly, hemmed in. If i'm stuck there for a while, the car starts getting SH!t from other drivers, who I guess figure the joke is no longer funny. It's gone on too long.

Especially on my regular commute. I'm sure the regulars got to know me a bit, since they would see me regularly, and from history would know that I'm a decent minded bloke just going to work like everyone else, lol. So if some idiot tries to cut me off, or obviously oust the squeeze on me, they can sometimes come to your defence.

So on your regular commute, be respectful, show some patience and you will be respected by a few drivers. (don't SH!t in your own nest.)
    • Like Like x 1
  17. I find how I'm treated on the road by drivers changes hour to hour, day to day. Mornings aren't too bad but afternoons later in the week, when people just want to get home, seriously dangerous. The anger shown towards me, other riders who also happen to be on cruisers, tourers and scooters is down right scary. And I'm sorry to say, but the majority of drivers who move over to prevent you from filtering, open their doors, thrown coffee out their window or just yelling honking or flashing the mighty bird are female drivers on their mobile phones aged between 18 and 30, with the ocassional soccer mum in their suv. All these things are trivial mind you, and the fact I scoot away at the lights and get home earlier than any of my four wheeled friends makes up for anything they try.
    There has in my opinion been an increase in aggression towards myself and various other two wheeled friends when the wonderfully oveducated, worlds greatest in understanding road safety and riders needs, government department, the TAC start trying to educate riders and drivers on road safety.

That's my spat for the night. Happy and safe riding :)
  18. Do you think a outlaw biker would be on a sports bike
    In bright colours

Cagers respect loud cruisers if you look "tough"
    I know i alwsys have when caging because
    You never know whos behind the matt black and sunnies
  19. when i filtered on my hornet 250 with its stock exhaust i got pulled out on fairly often. Even though it was bright yellow, it was pretty quiet however.

When i filter on my VFR400 with an unbaffled race pipe i find that people very rarely pull into my way, and often i get people moving their cars slightly to let me through, i think its simply a combination of a bigger bike, with a bright multicoloured paint job, xenon headlight and very loud exhaust (i stay in first while commuting at peak times)
  20. Just got the Cop bike in between two different bike clubs,Not much i could do but ride the hell out of that thing.

Everyone probably thought i was a douche on a sewing machine ,or could ride .cause we smashed a hard road

I was thinking 1st time this bike has been in this situation without the rider getting a beat down