Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Does this sound like a cactus battery?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by N*A*M, Apr 26, 2006.

1. 94 CBR600F...

Yesterday, the bike was running fine and starting with no trouble. Then last night I turned the bike on and tried to start it. It kicked over weakly then gave up. The headlights were dim, and it just looked like a flat battery. Even though I had been riding heaps yesterday.

So I inspected the battery and it showed 10V. I charged the battery overnight and it showed +13V this morning. But when I when to start it did the same thing... weak effort, then it wouldn't even kick over.

I suspect it's a bung battery and will probably try to get a replacement today. Does that sound reasonable? I just want to be sure before I spend money in case its something else. Also what are the symptoms of a faulty rectifier - which I hear is common for many Hondas?

Thanks in advance.
  2. A faulty rectifier will bugger up the recharging action of the alternator; your charged battery would have started the bike but it'd be flat again at the end of the ride. Which isn't what's happening here.

It does sound like a stuffed battery to me. Has the bike been sitting around for long?

Anyway, what's going on, did you get yourself a new stunter?
  3. hey loz. cool that kind of confirms my suspicions. yes dude, i picked it up yesterday, and rode down to the spot straight away. i was still getting used to the thing but it wheelies quite well. i'm going to swap the hornet sprocket and handbrake over. but for now it'll be my daily commuter. it's good to be back in the saddle.
  4. Nice one bro! And the 919?
  5. prime minister sent
  6. fyi... i found out that it was a regulator problem. it was overcharging the battery at 18V which obviously killed it. vicwreck supplied a 2nd hand reg for $65 and a 2nd battery for $40. i'm back on the road.
  7. N*A*M you bloody cheap skate. Bet you re-use the oil after sifting it. stop stunting it might help mate. Battery probably not meant to work on the angles you get that thing onto.
  8. whats an oil change? :?

oh yeah i forgot to ask about your f4 fairings... ill call them tomorrow.