Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Does this indicate my cabies are dirty or something else?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Sweeris, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Yesterday I was on a ride out to black spur with a few others. Im the morning nearing my arrival at the meeting point I started to notice that when I open my throtle passed 2/3 my bike would lurge like its trying to accelerate but it wouldn't and it kinda felt like it wasnt getting enough fuel/air...

Since it wasnt a big problem I just kept it at the back of my mind and just enjoy the ride.

During the ride I guessed that I might have been something durty in my carby. So I just sit back and wait for a few sections when I get full throtle with sixth 6 gear and high speed. I figured it might clear it up. After a first setion I found it hasnt cleared up but by the second time I hit 130 or so. I found that it kinda disappeared. It run fine at full throttle again..

Now it got me wondering what is happening with my bike.... Thoughts, ideas?

I ruled fuel out since I filled it from reserve and also when I fill it I let in run from reserve for a while to get the muck out(this might me causing the problem). I usually do this every couple fill ups...
  2. Re: Does this indicate my cabies are dirty or something else

Could be dirt/water in fuel tank and/or carbs.

There should be a fuel bowl with strainer in the fuel tap - it should screw off. Check there first for anything bad.

Then undo the drain screws at the bottom of each carb and catch the fuel in a clean container, so you can see what comes out.

If it doesn't happen again ...

Trevor G

The above is a lot easier than pulling the carbs off...
  3. Dirt in the bowls sounds like a good guess.

If it's gone then forget about it for now. If not you might be best to get the carbies off and give them a good clean.

Set the float levels, put them back on and sync them.
  4. Yup its gone now anyways. I thought it might be just dirt so next time when I service it I'll clean it....

Thanks for the replies...
  5. Flatspot could be due to not enough power for the coils, seems to happen on mine sometimes. That said, I have some mysterious electrical problem that melts but doesn't burn correctly rated fuses...
  6. You might have copped a tankful of shit fuel.
  7. Altitude!! Jetting.

If ur bike runs good when around a certain sea level and u got into the mountains and it runs shite. Higher the altitude greater the air density, make the bike run a tad leaner. Temperature, humidity can also had the same effects.

Unless ur bike has been rejetted very narrowly/specifically. Then i doubt its this. I know my bike suffers from altitude sickness :grin: