Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Does the rear brake need to lighten up the brakelight?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by mkay, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Hello,
    My left rearset is slightly dented, so I thought about getting racing rearsets. Some of them cause your taillight to not lighten up when you use the rear brake any more. As I never use the rear brake that would not affect my riding negatively. But is this illegal? Thank you for any answers.
    I apologize in advance for my bad English and if something similar was asked before.

2. Yes, it is a roadworthy item. Run without a rear switch? That's up to you.
  3. i think not using your rear brake WILL affect you're riding negatively
  4. No,brakelight needs to be activated by EITHER front OR rear brake.
  5. Nah,brakelight needs to be operated by both.
  6. But I doubt it.
  7. Noooo don't do it Blabb...
  8. Do what ?
    Read the laws.
  9. I have been knocked back on RWC when mine didnt work in NSW. YMMV.
  10. Can you quote the NSW rule for that ?
    The SA rules say other wise.
  11. Me too.
  12. SA rule---

QUOTE-----"The stop lamp must be activated by the
    front and/or rear brake"
  13. To me,that means-
    front and rear
    front or rear

ergo-front only is ok
  14. Dunno about SA rules but as far as I know , if the bike is complianced with the brakelight running off the front and rear brake switch (as most bikes from the last 30yrs or so have) it would need to be operating to pass a roadworthy.
  15. Not necessarily so,a bike would only need to comply with the law-as its written.
  16. Could also mean:
    Front and rear if both are fitted.
    Otherwise front or rear depending on what the bike has fitted.

You can't stipulate front and rear if not all bikes have both, but on the other hand the fact some bikes have one does not mean every bike can get away with it.

Easiest way to interpret the law is to apply some common sense. Did the bike come with two brake light switches? If yes then what makes you think you could remove one?
  17. Fair enough.Its a bit of a grey area I've wondered about for a while actually.Will only find out for real next time I try to get something past the RTA
  18. Thats what I said,I cant get my head round the And/Or thing.