Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Does racing improve the breed?

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by hornet, Aug 16, 2005.

1. For decades, this dictum has governed the pursuit of championships and race wins, and for many decades it was true. Dunlop developed disc brakes for Jaguar to use at Le Mans and overnight ensured that within one or two seasons everyone would have to be using disc brakes. Not long after they started filtering into production cars; the E Type came out in 1964 with a 150mph top speed and four-wheel discs. Similar scenario for bikes in the same period.
    BUT, are the innovations in the modern GP and MotoGP bikes for any other reason than to win races, and does the technology, with the possible exception of tyre technology, have ANY application on the street, now or later?

3. What about......Radial mounted brakes; fuel injection; tyre compounds and construction; Wave discs; frame design; swingarm design; airbox design; exhaust design; fuel economy; suspension design; component material construction......

4. right on the money!! :D :D
  5. What wins on Sunday, sells on Monday!
  6. I think there is still a huge amount of technology from racing research that trickles through to us mortal consumers. ABS and traction control on cars are two examples that spring to mind.

The real question is whether new technology restrictions in racing will dampen the development of new technologies for the end consumer. Formula One has brought in restrictions on elecronic controls and WRC looks like it is considering sweeping technology restrictions on rally cars.
  7. Although the slipper clutch was really invented in the late 60's only recently has it become really popular in production bikes. The tech was driven out of racers.

Carbon fibre everythings came from racing as well, from a functional (lightweight) point of view rather than an asthetic one.

A would agree that most new supersport/sports tourer bikes are race bred to a large degree, and the technology is shared among all classes as needed.
  8. I think bikes see more benefit then cars do, but less so every year.

Modern motor racing rules are so restrictive that very little true inovation really occurs. Just development.

Did you know that in F1 that the engine must actually be a V10? No other option.

But because street bikes are closer to race bike then cars are, we do see a bit a trickle down.

I just hope the rules don't become too restrictive, so as to limit the variety of bikes and the development.

Perhaps a wieght/tyre size per capicty/number of cyclinders class would be better then a straight cpacity limit
  9. The rumor that the next two big things in MotoGP development will be 2 wheel drive and the death of telescopic forks.

And the team leading this development....Yamaha.

It would be cool if they could do it over the next couple of seasons.
  10. Uniform agreement, OK. The next question is, do we really NEED some of the racing innovations that have trickled down to production bikes? Do we need road bikes that are equivalent in power-to-weight ratios of the GP bikes of not so many years ago? Our roads are more dangerous, restrictions on speed are more stringent, where can we use some of these innovations, except on the race track?
    And, while we're at it, will someone please bring back the Castrol Six Hour production bike race???
  11. One thing to remember is that a lot of the racing improvements make our bikes safer to ride, because they are trying to make the bikes easier to handle on the track. The easier it is to keep upright, the safer it is - so yes, we do need a lot of the innovations.
  12. jeez, Dan, that was quick, for dial-up! lol
    Yeah, I know, coffee break <cough> at work!
  13. <cough cough> 8-[
  14. IMHO the most import MotoGP to road-bike crossover has been the speed-sensitive steering as featured on the Blade. I reckon all bikes will have them in the next few years.
  15. Please explain, recent returnee, remember?????
  16. I think he's talking about the inbuilt steering damper? that eases off at low speeds for manouverability, but stiffens up at high speeds. It is brilliant.
  17. HESD
  18. Its not exactly speed senstive steering, if it was i would have possibly done better on my whitfield - mansfield ride. But the HESD is worth its weight in gold (and I'm told it is a relatively heavy SOB, so much so that most 1000RRs used for racing are removing them and installing the normal variety damper).
  19. Apparently the Yanks didn't get it on their bikes, bit of a sore point with a few of them so thats always good to throw in there occasionally on the international forums.