Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Does Netrider improve your vocabulary?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hornet, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Now, I've got a good vocabulary, and between years working in heavy industry and the Australian Armed Forces, I also have a reasonable working knowledge of Australian slang and profanity (although I don't use it myself).
    But I've never seen or learned so many new words since I joined Netrider. Where do they come from??
    For example, who coined the word 'numpty'? How did it come about? And what other words do you see on Netrider that you tend not to see elsewhere??

2. nah not at all.
    I did manage to pick up a temporary accent from the south australians however... :LOL:
  3. bovine excriment - obviously dodging the naughty word filter

just learnt it today :)
  4. I'm not sure if its improved my vocabulary - but I know its impaired my spelling! :p
  5. Indistinkably.
  6. I would say that, apart from the more technical terminology, I haven't come across new words here. Noompty (my spelling :wink: ) has been around for a long time.

Crosswords and schooling improve my vocabulary.

My words for the day the other day were heuristic and hermeneutic.....

Believe it or not, I need to keep my mind active or I turn into a noompty very quickly :LOL:
  7. Yep. :)
  8. It's like becoming acquainted with a forum vernacular... :cool:

Language is so fascinating.
  9. Me now speak good Engish.
  10. yeah My new word for the week "Gixxer"
  11. Hmm... when I first started... I didn't know the 4wheels are called cage. :LOL: and also ....

Kwaka? (WhoTF came out with that one? hahaha!)

It's always easy to master 1. From young, I have to at least speak 4 different languages to be able to communicate with people around.. :LOL: Keep learning...
  12. Indubitably.

Regards, Andrew.
  13. A friend recently visited Rottnest Island... full of quokkas and they're an endangered species...

I asked her does this mean they're gonna to be wiped out?

She's not a biker, it was only funny to me. :oops: :verysad:

[supplement prodigious appelation] to stay on topic.
  14. Nup.

15. ...it has improved my use of emoticons however!!

:biker:-(img:47:15:9af912b0a9]http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/evil/1022.gif[/img:9af912b0a9][img:26:28:9af912b0a9]http://emoticons4u.com/cool/049.gif[/img:9af912b0a9]:bannanabutt: :smileysex: :dance: :cheeky:
  16. Numpty
    Scottish usage:
    a) Someone who (sometimes unwittingly) by speech or action demonstrates a lack of knowledge or misconception of a particular subject or situation to the amusement of others.

b) A good humoured admonition, a term of endearment

c) A reckless, absent minded or unwise person

a) "No. That wisnae wit she meant, ya big numpty!"

b) i.e. "Silly billy", "You big dafty"

c) "That numpty's driving with no lights on!"