Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Does iTunes suck...or is it me that sucks?

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by urbansloth, Sep 30, 2009.

1. So I've taken the plunge and iPhone'd myself, after resisting Apple's "do it my way or else" mentality for as long as I could...and I must admit, it's great.

But....now I want music on it, I must use iTunes (and no, not really contemplating hacks like Jailbreak just yet).

So...am I doing something completely wrong, or does iTunes just suck for organising your music?

I have all my music on my computer laid out in a nice directory structure, grouping by genre, artist, album, etc - which until this point, I just drag'n'dropped wholesale onto my nice USB-drive compatible MP3 player. Bam - done.

But now, if I import into iTunes, it seems to lose all information on my nice directory structure, hence making it extremely difficult to set up the damn playlists it wants. And don't start me on the "Genre" it picks - half of my Hip Hop collection is Jazz apparently, and it won't let me change it. (Can't help but note that my $50 MP3 player could navigate to a directory, and simply play from that directory, all subdirectories, etc etc...)

So...any iTunes defenders out there? What is the quickest simplest way for me to import my directory-ised MP3 collection into nice iPhone-compliant playlists...?

Any help appreciated - cheers!

dave out...

PS: forum/google searches turned up a few fellow iTunes whingers, but no solutions to this problem..?

2. I'm not sure if it goes that far, but Winamp Player covers a lot of this sort of stuff quite well, either as is or with add-ons. The current version notes mention iPod Sync support among other things.

I use it for music and leave the video stuff (and a lot of other options you choose during install) aside for other players, mainly to slim it down a lot so it starts up quickly.

It's a fantastic player program and some of the visualisations you can have with the music will melt your brain.

Well supported too. Take a look at the site (and it's forums) to see if it covers what you're after - www.winamp.com

3. Meh, it's Apple, of course it sucks.

4. :WStupid:

Definitely not a fan.

5. The problem ain't with iTunes. Your problem is that you've been storing file information outside the files - artists and albums in the folder names, etc. It was going to come and bite you in the arse one day... Today's your day.

It might be a c0ck of a job, but if you code the right info into iTunes, it'll save it with the file, and that info will be usable by every other media player going around, too.

There might be some way for it to automatically work out what music you've imported too.... Not sure, it works with some CDs.

6.  Top
  7. It sucks.
    And blows.

8. I hated it when I started using it but have worked out it's ways.

It works perfectly fine once you get the hang of it.

9. As a first adopter of itunes way back when I've always found it easy to use.
    Yere are some features that are wanky now so I just ignore them.
    It was originally known as soundjam MP by Cassidy and Greene and under a deal with Apple became itunes
    "Turning to Casady & Greene, Apple purchased the rights to the SoundJam software in a deal covered by a two year secrecy clause. [2] All three developers continued developing the software for Apple.

On January 9, 2001, iTunes 1.0 was released. Macintosh users immediately began poking through iTunes's resource fork, where they discovered numerous strings and other resources that indicated iTunes was a re-engineered SoundJam MP. Casady & Greene ceased distribution of SoundJam MP on June 1, 2001 at the request of the developers.[3]"
    source wikipedia

10. It takes some getting used too if you haven't used it before, but once you get the hang of it and laboriously put all the track info in it works a treat!

11. my bro hates apple, itunes and all the apple fanboys ( thats me ). you get used to it but it does blow.

you should be able to play via whatever genre you want on your iPhone. you can change the genre too. select album right click then get info....

12. You are doing it wrong. Fix your ID3 tags.

Basically iTunes sorts your music as you do (Artist, Album), but it does so using the ID3 tags in the MP3. If you haven't made or corrected them, it can't sort your music.

Once you fix the tags, you'll be able to browse however you want.

13. And any other media playing software.

14. Will never jump on the bandwagon, until they own the world....

15. Hold the control key, select a swathe of songs at once click right click for info and add genre. It'll then add the genre to all the songs selected. Couldn't be easier.
    Same goes for albums etc.

16. Yes iTunes gets a lot of bad press from disgruntled users. Yes it is slower on a PC than it is on a Mac. Yes it takes a bit of getting used to.

However!!! As phone management software it blows every other abysmal poorly coded piece of crap software by the likes of Nokia, Motorola, RIM (Blackberry), Samsung etc out of the water. Give me iTunes any day.

And if you tag your music files correctly, as other people have noted, what directory structure you use for your music is completely irrelevant. It will all be sorted according to whatever criteria you want - album, genre, artist, year, composer - you name it. If you've ripped your CDs using a program like iTunes in the first place, your files should get tagged correctly automatically. If you've downloaded or collected MP3s from wherever then they may be tagged incorrectly. It's easy enough to modify the tags in iTunes. If its tagged incorrectly and labelled as Jazz instead of Hip Hop for example, that's not iTunes' fault - that's the fault of whoever ripped the music and tagged it in the first place.

Creating playlists from your music library is simple. You just need to have your music organised and tagged properly in the first place. And if you decide to use any other music library software, having it all correctly tagged is a necessity anyway.

17. To an extent, yeah. But you get options with other programs... Winamp can display and sort based on file name, or you can use the directory structure as the library per say and play the files in VLC. To my knowledge, iTunes can only catalogue on the ID3 data.

18. Aaaaah, this be the answer I'm looking for! When I can batch change them, much less painful.

Yeah I figured it was going on the ID3 tags, but just wasn't willing to troll through a few thousand songs and correct them. And when other software (eg, Winamp) can provide other options, why should I? Why can't Apple just get with the program??

Anyway, now I've stepped down from my soap box, with Smee's tip I am now begrudgingly sifting through the collection...

cheers,

dave out...

19. I never sure what the bitching about Itunes was all about it's just a media player no better of worse that WMP10 if you tags are right then it's easy if you've not sorted your tags there are a number of programs to sort that before you load them in...

What's the problem???

20. MediaMonkey is pretty good for batch ID3 changes and for embedding artwork into the files. You can update all the tags with this and then import the high level folder into iTunes