Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Does heavy rain hurt the bike?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by mugen86, Apr 26, 2008.

1. If I let my CBR250RR sit outside under heavy rain will water get clogged anywhere undesireable?

What if I ride it while its raining heavily?
  2. Yeah, it will wake in the morning with bruises.

If you submerge it into a pool of water I reckon you might fcuk it, teaming rain won't do too much ;)
  3. No.

You and the bike will get wet. ;)

...make sure you clean the chain and lube it after a wet ride. Ok. :)
  4. funny question mate XD

its like a car... does your car get hurt in the rain? :p

ps. no.. unless its acid rain
  5. No, but it is demoralizing for it.
  7. i have sometimes had intermittent electrical problems when riding in really heavy rain, bear in mind the bike is old and crusty and probably has wires perishing somewhere.

best way to clean bugs off the fairing after a spring oxley run is to take her down the freeway at a $1.40 in the pissing rain :p
  8. Rain generally shouldn't be a problem. ( unless you have your fuel cap open ) :p
    However, if I see it pissing down, the bike is handy, and shelter is only feet away. I move her.
  9. You've ruined it. To save you hassle, I'll give you $50 for it.

10. [​IMG]
  12. [​IMG]
  13. Cut the OP a bit of slack. If, as they state on the other thread, it's their first ever experience of motorised transport, at least they're asking. On the other hand, if they're a troll (which seems unlikely), they're a pretty inoffensive one.
  14. Oh how quick the "New Riders and Riding Tips" trolls are to pounce on an unassuming newbie thread :D

I have no idea how a carburetor engine works... why do people assume its common knowledge? Perhaps if I had been riding for 10 years and still didn't know it would be an invite for criticism... if you don't have anything constructive to say why even bother posting? I'm sure somebody with a little more curtesy will simply say "no" to the question.

I've been riding for 2 weeks and I'd rather be safe than have a bike break down because of torrential downpour. I was a little paranoid because bikes have a lot of exposed wiring and water + electricity does not mix well. Plus, the engine is practically exposed.

Tuneliner: I know raid doesn't damages cars, but cars have a bonnet and I assume its there to protect the internals from the elements. Bikes don't, thats why I was unsure whether water would trickle somewhere and damage something... e.g. on the spark plugs
  15. Bikes are designed to be out in the rain. But like many things sometimes that design isn't quite as good as it could be. Problems that can occur are water getting in around the sparkplugs (particularly on v-twins) making starting difficult, shorting out electrical connectors that aren't sealed well, washing all the lube from the chain and getting into the airbox and wetting the filter (restricting airflow to the engine).
    Of course these are really only problems with trying to start a bike left standing, once running the engine can pretty much look after itself even in the heaviest downpour.
  16. one can go through the same thought processes when you first wash the bike. "should I really squirt water down there?" until you realise its been designed to be ridden in the rain. :facepalm:
  17. Right on Mugen! :) Welcome to the arjy barjy of the forums mate.