Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Does anyone know of a beginner bike maintenance course?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by 2wheelsagain, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Mrs 2wheels here - just got my L's and first bike a couple of weeks ago, and I really want to learn how to take care of the basics on this beast myself. I think if I am riding it I should know how it works!!
    Does anyone know of a basic motorcycle mechanics course? All I want is a basic overview of how the engine works and basic maintenance.
    It seems if you are born with testicles you seem to know all these things automatically :p But for those of us with bumps in different places, we need to find out!
    I suppose a book would help, but its not the same as 'hands on' and getting down and dirty with the real thing. (that almost sounds rood!)
    I've tried the local Adult education place and they laughed at me, and the local TAFE doesn't seem to offer anything. Surely I'm not asking that much??!

2. There is a short motorcycle maintenance course offered at Holmsglen in Chadstone.
    It runs every tuesday over a 3 week period. Each session is about 3 hours. There are set dates when they start but most of it is posted on their website.
    There was a write up done on the course here on NR I just couldn't find it for ya..........
  3. Thanks for that Moochie - but I am in Gippsland, about 3 hours out of Melbourne.......
    at least I know these courses do exist!!
  4. For anyone else that is interested, there is one at Kangan Batman TAFE in northern suburbs of Melb also.

With this info, you might contact the local TAFE and say "see, it IS popular, don't laugh in my face, just do it"
  5. I got two books The Essential Guide to Motorcycle Maintenance by Mark Zimmerman and the Motorcycle Maintenance Techbook by Keith Weighill from Amazon that helped me understand what the beast does. Still haven't got a clue how to fix anything.
  6. Just get hte service manual and wing it, thats how i did it
  7. See if there's a forum or club dedicated to your ride.

After trolling the SR forums, I muscled my way into a maintenance day at a Canberra members house. The next day I went from a mechanical n00b (just changing wheels, rejetting carbie, swapping mufflers and fixing cables) to changing my spark plug, oil, changed valve clearences, fixing cam chain tension.

Bang. There goes my servicing costs for the next 40,000k's until I need to do a top end rebuild. And it's bloody fun. I get my hands dirty and feel like man once a month. :grin:
  8. Sorry about that...... I forgot to look at your location before I posted that one.
    At least you know they exist and can suggest that some of the TAFE places near you try and get them running.
    good luck with the search tho......... :cool:
  9. I was just speaking about this with a mate of mine just last week. We're both keen to do a basic course as well, but have no idea where to look, other than TAFE (ACT) (which neither of us have checked out yet)... I'm totally keen on getting grubby working on my bike! :grin:

It's a damned good idea, they have courses for cars, there should definitely be easily accessible courses for motorbikes too.

Reckon it'd be worthwhile having a listing of MC courses somewhere on this forum, as submitted by members? They've done similar on Whirlpool re: providers & services, seems a good idea... :)
  10. For what you want to do, a book would be enough, and if you want an experienced hand guiding you, anybody with basic mechanical skills. I've thought about hiring somebody to give me some private lessons on stripping down my engine. (That almost sounds rood! :) )

11. This doesn’t help the original poster but perhaps someone else might be interested…

I've done both the Holmesglen and Bateman courses and got a lot out of both of them but they are very different in how they work.
    The Holmesglen course was the first one I did which I think was a good thing since it mainly a theory style class with only the last session a chance to get dirty. But knowing the theory of how engines in general work has been invaluable since. At the time I'd gone there to see if I could learn enough to do my own servicing and general maintenance so at the time I was a little disappointed but the instructor was brilliant and I learnt a lot.

About a year later I did the Bateman Course, which isn’t exclusively a motorcycle course but rather a small engine course. The first hour of the first few sessions is the theory component in which you watch some pretty old instructional videos and work through the accompanying notes, its kind of hard to stay awake. The theory side of the course is inferior to what the Holmesglen one by quite a bit, but it was enough to roughly get back up to speed as well as learning a few extra details. But the really good part of the Bateman course is that you spend the last 2-3 hours and all the last few sessions of the course initially playing with small engines they provide then finally working on a bike or equipment (mower, brushcutter, boat engine, to name a few that were there) with the instructor coming around to help you if you are stuck. So its almost a cheap way to get an mover/bike/whatever working again the whole time learning as you are going.

If you can I’d recommend that you do both courses, the Holmesglen one first to get the theory down then do the more practical Bateman course. You will get more out of the Bateman course if you have your own project to work on but I learnt quite a bit hopping from each project to the next as the instructor went through each of the little tricks he had for any given problem, some which apply to bikes some which work butter with a small brushcuter 2 stroke engine. I was lucky to have one of the girls at the course working on her bike which was pretty cool seeing how to check value clearances and other service orientated tasks.