Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Does anyone know how to do a tune up?.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by pot87, May 8, 2008.

1. i think my old banger is in need of a tune up, it goes alright but it only does 105km/h maybe 110km/h if being pushed. So yeah what i was wondering is would a tune up make the bike go fatser?, also if you know how to tune a bike can you please give me some instructions on how to tune, my bike is a 1980 Kawasaki Z250A twin carby (2 cylinder) so yeah i'm not sure if thats any help if so then thats great.

2. I think that's about as fast as an old thing like a Z250 will go!

Otherwise it's just usual stuff - new spark plugs, do compression test, check timing, chain tension.

Crouching down on the tank will give you another 5 km/h.

Stage 1 performance upgrade: get a faster bike :)
  3. How long is a peice of string?
  4. plugs
    fuel filter
    oil and oil filter
    air filter
    check leads and replace them if replaceable.
    pull carbies and clean and put a kit through them if available
    - set float level
    - balance
    do tappets.

whilst you are at it
    change brake fluid
    change fork oil
    set chain slack
    check all bearings including gear linkages if you have them.

having done all that the bike should feel much fresher and nicer to ride. I wouldn't be banking on much more top end, however.
  5. I got my Ps on an SRV250 that was only 3 years old at the time, and it would only do 130km/h max on a smooth level road (and the wind behind me). It would drop below 100km/h with the throttle pinned open when going up an incline on the freeway.

I've ridden the Bikebiz 250 Virago loan bike as well, and that struggled to maintain 110km/h on the freeway (pretty much full throttle all the way).

My guess is that there is nothing wrong with your bike - it was probably that slow when brand new :)
  6. well thanks for that guys i'll check all that stuff out.

yeah well my bike is 28 years old i don't expect it to be a rocket i would like to get it to do 115-120km/h but 105-110km/h is fast enough for me at the moment, but yeah i would love to try and get more power out of the old banger before i sell it within the next 12 months.