Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

does anyone here use silkolene?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by idontlikemondays, Jun 11, 2007.

1. or more specifically 20W-50 semi synth. it was even cheaper than the shell semi synth.

does anyone use it/ know what its like???

2. I use their chain grease and its a POS!
  3. I've been using the 'pro 4 15w-50'
    It's Ok, holds it's viscocity Ok at 5000k changes, makes the gear changes a bit notchy but not too bad
  4. I've also used the pro 15W-50W and like all ester based synthetics found it better than mineral based oils. It is on par with the shell synthetics but not as good as Motul 5100 (based on gear change feel through life of oil change - 5K in a VFR800, commuting).
  5. I've used Silkolene for around 7 years on VFR400's a Gilera Nordwest and a couple of TRX850's they may designate it different in Australia but the COMP was semi synth and the PRO fully synth.

I tended towards the Semi Synth as the VFRs got regular changes and the TRX, well the engine was designed circa 1850. I used it mainly because it was the only stuff that smoothed out the TRX gear changes and was reasonably priced (TRX's tend to like to quoff the stuff a bit).

Over the years I have come to the conclusion that oil is oil pretty much. Spending mega $ and never changing it is just as bad as spending cents and never changing it so I go for mid pocket semi synthetic and change it at the manufacturers designated mileage. One thing I do do though is always use a genuine filter.