Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

does anyone buy writeoffs to do up?

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Meyerhoff, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Does it make sense? Is there a particularly good provider? Pickles never seems to have anything on offer. Mannheim does but their search function sucks and again little to offer in QLD. Is there a good place to watch in brisbane?

2. I thought about buying one. But, while it was just gunna be a project, it would have been hard to move on should I need to.
    Personally I would buy at least a good frame and then perhaps a write off for most non structural parts? each states rules about written off rebuilds seems to be a bit different. :wtf:
  3. I've thought about it, but in most cases it's more trouble than it's worth IMO. You have to repair it back to original state. I've heard they can be real picky too, not letting you have a yoshi pipe etc on it cos it's not original. The VIV itself was $500 when i enquired several years ago. Plus you'll never be able to insure it comprehensively, and it could be harder to sell unless you're prepared to discount it a lot from what a similar, non WOVR bike is selling for. The numbers would add up for me though if I was looking to do it on an expensive bike that I otherwise couldn't afford. Let's say a brand new s1000rr that's gonna set me back $25k, if I could find a lightly damaged repairable write off for around $10k at an auction, spend a couple of grand repairing and VIVing it, you'd have an amazing bike for $10-13k less than otherwise
    • Like Like x 1
  4. yeah, repairing w written off vehicle only makes sense if:
    - it's a bargain and you know enough about bikes to go through it all and spend less than just buying a non written off bike
    - it's not being road registered (track bike/farm bike)
    - you are just buying it for parts or have a frame thats not on the WOVR and are swapping the parts over

It can get expensive VERY quickly if you are trying to get it back on the road, so only worth doing it if you can get a lightly damaged bike for far far less than what it would cost you to buy the same bike without being on the WOVR (like darren said).