Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Does anybody know how to get the seat off a 1987 CBR250?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by lizardintoronto, Aug 29, 2008.

1. My friend just bought it and can't ride it because she's 5 ft nothing, and can barely get a toe down on this thing. I want to take the seat off so we can shave the foam before contenplating having some lowering links machined. No lowering links exist for this puppy, as it wasn't even a bike Honda imported into North america - a private citizen from Japan brought it into Canada.

I figure it should be the same as '87 CBR600s, but don't know anyone with one of those, either.

There doesn't seem to be any seatlock. Anywhere.

Any idea how to get the seat off?

2. Pull back the back corners of the seat, undo the bolts underneath.

Probably not a great choice of bike for her, but good luck with it.

3. LgCrowBar.

...oh dammit someone answered first.

4. Thanks, fellas!

Heh. Tried pulling back the sides & corners, nothing visible. Ended up undoing two screws and popping off the side panels, and underneath the panels found two 12mm bolts holding it on. It just took some wiggling to get the panels off because of two pop-in friction mounts on each panel. Wuz afraid I might bust the panels getting 'em off cuz I couldn't see those pop-in mounts until I got 'em off. But I finally figured it out.

I dunno, for such a petite woman, I think she made a good choice. I can flatfoot this bike, and I'm only 5'3". Taking most of the foam out of the seat will give her at least 2.5 inches, so she should be able to at least get the balls of both feet planted with some authority. When I took all the foam outta my ZX7 seat, that's what I got and I found that was good enough, even with a bike as heavy as a ZX7.

I think if we can shave the seat down she's gonna be fine. It's really light and for an '87 in pristine condition. Fewer than 7,000 km (less than 4,400 miles) on it. It was a lucky find. A private Japanese citizen imported it into Canada; all the labels are in Japanese. Honda never sold these in North America, although they did in Australia.

She's not going to outgrow it very quickly, either - it's an inline four (never seen that before in a 250 !!!!) and has LOTS of power. Redlines at 1800. Booted it up to 140 kph (that's almost 90mph) on the Gardiner here in Toronto last night in 4th gear and it was quickly responsive. Didn't scream, complain or shake. Would have been happy to go faster if traffic had cooperated.

Not that I'll be encouraging her to do that kind of speed, but it's nice to know you have a bit of power to get you out of a bad situation.

5. I have this Bike. Mines the Japanese import also.

They are everywhere in Australia.

Checkout ww.cbr250.com if you need help with anything.

ps. 7000kms for a 20 year old bike is very rare, thats like 6km a week in its whole life!! these bikes go back to zero once they reach 100,000kms.