Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Does anybody here ride dirt on the ride days?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Booki, May 11, 2009.

1. Gday boys and girls. Im soon to be joining you all sometime but i am looking at getting a WR450F or a WR250F (I do some trail riding with friends/family)

So figured why not kill two birds with one stone.

Are us dirt bikers welcome on these trips or is it strictly roadies only?
  2. As far as I know, as long as your bike is registered and you fit the skill grading of the ride then you would be most welcome. I've never been on one but am fairly confident you wouldn't be turned away if your showed up with a registered steed.

Cheers - boingk
  3. as long as you are on a bike and can ride to the level of the ride :)
  4. Awesome news!
    Hopefully ill be joining some of you fellas on one with my WR :D
  5. be good to see you at a ride but as far as im aware not many are run on dirt roads.

buy a set of road wheels at make it a motard :p
  6. You have a license and a registered motorcycle?

You can ride wherever and whenever you damn well please.
    If that happens to be on a NR ride: so be it.

What is this 'skill level of the ride' bollocks?

If you streak ahead, you get an extra beer in at the pub.
    If you ride more slowly, you catch up at the meet point.
  7. yes dirtbike/motard riders are welcome on rides, we generally have pesky ktm show up on day rides and well lets just say, it's not normally the supersports waiting for the farm bike with knobbies. :LOL: :shock:

But meh, once i get my clutch fixed and can get the bike outta first i will show him how to ride :rofl:
  8. simple some rides are noted as not for learners, due to distances/times and the general speed the group want to travel at and are therefore not suitable, then there are other rides that cater for less experienced or those that just want to take in the views :)
  9. If they're licensed to use the roads, they can use the roads.

The only reason I would have for suggesting someone didn't come on a certain type or distance of ride was if their bike wasn't suitable for the surface (dirt/gravel) or they didn't have gear to suit the weather (cold/wet).

The speed they travel at is up to them.

Learners SHOULD do longer rides, and learn from more experienced riders; rather than watching each other crash.
  10. Where did i say they can't use the roads :roll: All i said was consider if the group has stated a min. to the level and whether it's for the rider....if they want to ride that road ride it.

Why put a learner on a ride where a group wants to ride at a faster past. There are a lot of riders that can and will ride at the posted limits everywhere, means through the twisties, over a 200km that gap can be quite annoying if the goal was to go out and have a play in the hills, on 500+ days that can be a huge gap between a learner who is just trying to get the grip of riding and an experience rider, if it's listed as experienced ride and you are not don't join the group. Why put that pressure on yourself.

Most rides are open to all, but every now and again, you want to just go have a play with others of similar levels it's really not that hard to understand :)
  11. Quite right Stewy....
    While it's an imperative that you ride at your own pace...it is'nt going to be too much fun if you go on a ride set at a fairly high skill level. Not because it's wrong, but because you are unlikely to spend much time with the other riders unless you meet the pace...at the risk of crashing if you can't...it's just practical.

The catagories are important. They try to ensure that the riders are at least in the same general ability level.

Some intermediate runs can be quite spirited, some are a days cruising at a more relaxed pace. It IS best to pick one that will suit your ability and that of your bikes, if you are to fully enjoy the experience.

The organizer will normally explain what the ride is about and what to expect on the day...that will give you an idea of whether or not it's a good fit, for you.

12. Am i automatically catagorised as a dud rider because i wanna ride a WR.... :(

I used to have a CBR250R!
  13. I have been using a ttr250, then a klx650, now either the DRZ400 or the f800 both using knobbies...

The exhaust can be a bit of an issue, some have the 'full noise' system and it stands out...

Full tank / range can be the biggest issue...

14. Ive never ridden a dirt bike on the road before, been riding dirt bikes casually since i was about 15.

Now i loved my cbr and way i could lean into corners but how is it on a wr/ttr type bike?

Am i better off getting another road bike again?
    If so im not sure if i want another CBR...most are to beat up for my liking.
  15. It's different. One is a road bike, one a dirt bike. Obvious answer to a seemingly simple question. Not wanting to sound flippant here but you need to define the type of riding you want to do. People race ride on mowers, but that doesn't make them the obvious choice for a weekend cruiser...
  16. I've ridden a few dirtys and found most to my liking - relaxed upright position, high seating position, excellent suspension and low weight combine to give you some good fun. The few things I'd hold against a dirt bike as a permenant ride would be the gearing, tyres, seat and tank.

The gearing is a bit too low for cruising at freeway speeds, on a loaned DR-Z400E I hit the ceiling at about 140 clicks. I'm not saying you want to be doing that speed all the time, but lower revs when cruising mean less mechanical wear and less fuel consumption (to a point). A larger front sprocket or smaller rear one should fix that pretty easily and make it a nice, less frantic roadcraft.

Knobbly tyres suck for cornering. Get some road ones, or keep a set of wheels with knobblies on that you can change over for weekend dirt riding. You could even have differing sprocket setups on each rear to match road or dirt. Either that, or just get a set of tyres that will do both road and dirt. Bit of a compromise, but its the easiest option.

Dirtbike seats aren't known for their comfort. Standing up is easy, however, and so is fitting some sort of aftermarket thing to help you out. If its any consolation, you'll probably run out of fuel before you want to murder the seat...

...which brings us to the tank size. All you gotta do is browse the manufacturers specs; 8 to 12 litres is the norm, with dedicated off-roaders and competition models generally being at the low end of the scale. Gearing the bike to run lower revs at speed may help this problem a bit, giving you a bit more usability for road rides. There are a few aftermarket options around that can replace the stock tank with a larger one, too. I wouldn't worry too much unless you plan to use this for long highway trips...in which case you really are looking at the wrong bike.

Hope it goes well, the WR series is one I haven't tried but would definitely like to :twisted: - boingk
  17. A WRF is a race bred enduro machine. If you treat it like a road bike expect to be putting $20 of oil through it every week and shimming the valves every other month. You'll probably be looking at a full head rebuild at around 10,000clicks.
    If you want to ride offroad most of the time, get a WR. If more than 30% of your riding in on the road, definitely get something else.
  18. Monkey's 100% correct.
    I would be keeping my WR off the bitumen as often as possible.
    They're simply not designed for it, and consequently will suffer as a result.
  19. Buy some motard wheels and have the best of both worlds.
    You CAN ride a WR on the road everyday it just takes a little more maintenance.
    For all the aussie motard info you could ever want visit www.vsmr.net (soon to be www.supermotaus.com.au :D)lots of WR riders on there.

When you get confident you will embarass alot of the sporties thru a nice set of twisties. Till then wheelie evrywhere and enjoy the life as a motarder!