Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

dodgy plug

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by blackjacket, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Edit: Ooops! This was meant to reply to the Cagiva Mito not starting thread :p

Well I had quite a day on Saurday. Went out and bought a bunch of stuff, Start Ya Bastard, a spark plug and a jerry can.

First I went to drain the tank, but I was too dumb to buy a hose to drain the tank, so I spilled petrol all over the place trying to drain it into the jerry can. (Can't reach the plugs/carbs/intake without removing tank). Completely overlooked the fact that there is a FUEL TAP. Managed to put a scratch in the tank somewhere along the way. :( :(

Engine still wouldn't start when fed with start ya bastard. Pulled out the plug and it looked like this:

Was also sopping wet with fuel. Held it against the head, electrocuted myself, and verified spark... Replaced it with a brand new NGK B95EGV (as per workshop manual) and it fired up first crank. Not sure about the old plug... was an Iridium plug, BR9-something-or-other. Also had an unusual threaded contact:

All's good now, though I'm really worried about the petrol I spilt all over the tank and down the fairings... Can't see any damage yet besides smudging some touch-up paint. :(