Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Doctor warns virus could be mutating.

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by 2up, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Doctor warns virus could be mutating
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 » 06:08am

The doctor at the helm of Australia's leading public health committee warns swine flu could already be mutating into a more deadly strain.

Her comments come as health authorities cleared a woman in Darwin of the virus while a man is now being tested.

Dr Vicki Krause, the chairperson of the Communicable Diseases Network Australia says viruses are difficult to predict, as they sometimes take many years to shift, and sometimes change quickly.

She says the current virus could be changing to a slightly different virus right now, meaning that it becomes more virulent or less virulent.

http://bigpondnews.com/articles/Nat...tor_warns_virus_could_be_mutating_327013.html

2. I am 23 yo male. I am not concerned becuase I am invincible.

3. But the virus will keep mutating until it gets you.
    This is worse than the African killer bee invasion.

4. can we expect to gain some pork related super powers?

5. eat pork everyday.

6. Maybe nipples will taste like bacon!!!

7. Mutating is kind of the defining characteristic of flu viruses - it's why we need a new vaccination each year, rather than a many-year vaccine like tetanus or rubella or tuberculosis.

8. Bravus, trust you to take a subject like a mutating deadly virus that can't be stopped and make a serious comment about it.

9. are we talking about x-men?

10. Typical alarmist journalism

Code:
    "The doctor at the helm of Australia's leading public health committee warns swine flu could already be mutating into a more deadly strain."
    Then she is reported to be saying

Code:
    "She says the current virus could be changing to a slightly different virus right now, meaning that it becomes more virulent or less virulent. "
    So which is it?
    Which part was what she said and which part was the "journalist" using artistic license?
    The hysteria caused by this virus surpasses the bird flu which killed more people.
    Why is there no hysteria associated with colon cancer which kills 80 people a day?

11. Last time I checked you could not catch colon cancer by walking past someone in the street. But since we don't have the Russians to be afraid of anymore and the terrorists crap is running out of legs we need some demons.

12. motorcyclists apparently...

13. Notice the price of pharmaceutical shares :?

:idea:

14. do you guys actually get flu shots each year??

15. My company offers an annual flu shot free to all staff members ($20 per shot for family/friends/etc), but I prefer to give my immune system a challenge. ;)

16. I get them free from work.
    I got one this year, 2 days off with the body fighting it. Def worth it

17. Bingo! 150 people world-wide (ok, maybe 200) ... at a population of 6.5 billion ... boohoo. Pardon me for not getting excited ... or worried. I'm pretty sure each new significantly changed strain of the "normal" influenza kills close to those numbers world-wide ... due to the secondary infections, just as swine flu.
    It's scare mongering with an angenda ... or two ... or three ...

Just saying ... think before you go baaaaaah :wink:

19. i reckon, just gimme some garlic, coconut and other natural anti microbials and ill take on rhinoceros flu.

20. I think we all need to panic a lot more.
    There is this lady at work from Peru. She's been here for about 20 years. I shot her just to be on the safe side. You can't be too careful you know.
    BTW...I washed my hands afterwards.