Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dobbing in the kids

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by boy.racer, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Suspected (as the SMH poll has it), definitely not: on the whole I don't trust the police force enough to believe that they would investigate entirely fairly and without prejudice.

Knew for a fact... it's a harder one. It would depend on the offence, the context, the consequences of conviction vs. being on the run and a heap of other things. (Hence I haven't voted in the pool - not enough info.)

But I'm confident at this point that if they had committed an offence and needed to turn themselves in, I would and could talk to them and have them decide to do so of their own free will.

Dobbing them in would permanently scar the relationship, but IMO it would only be necessary if the relationship was already pretty badly broken...
  2. depends on the crime I guess... as far as my family is concerned, everyone is law abiding anyway, the only laws that are broken are speed limit ones, so I answered no...
  3. There would be exceptions (unjust laws for one), but generally, yes. I'd like to think they would already know that I would do it. Actions have consequences, and letting them get away with it is the worst possible thing you could do for your kids. Can't tolerate low life crims.

Trusting the police to handle it properly is an issue I suppose, but I have a little more faith in the justice system on these kinds of matters.
  4. So essentially youre looking up to government and society at large to deal with familial issues.
  5. Poll needs more options like _depends on the crime
    -Depends on whether you seriously believe your family member is telling the truth
    -Don't know
  6. Any crime, from traffic fines to ****. If I put "don't know" in that would give people an option that didn't include making a choice.
  7. Then I don't vote as the options given are not enough
    Call it an informal vote.
  8. No. Thinking back to my dealings with police, the old adage "If you want something done right..." springs to mind.
  9. If it's a crime it's much more than a familial issue. It's a community one. The community has a right to respond. That doesn't mean I don't also respond.

In the end we all have to decide what is right or wrong, and that includes laws. Not all of them are right or just, in my personal judgement. But most of them I agree with and in those cases, consequences are consequences.
    When they grow up, I expect my kids to apply the same principle to me.

10. I agree

where the crime does not imply any serious damage to another party, then it can be dealt with at home.

But I think bravus has it - the conversation should be had to encourage the guilty party to hand themselves in, not necessarily to dob them in.

I reckon options should be:

• yes, without a doubt, regardless of the crime
    • yes, depending on the nature and severity of the crime
    • no, but I would encourage them to hand themselves in were the matter serious enough
    • No, regardless of the severity of the crime, I would protect my own family at all cost.

Lots of non-votes because the options are too restrictive. Can't vote in a poll which forces a particular point of view. I reckon you'll get more responses if there are more options.
  11. Yes can mean "if the circumstances warranted it".

No can only mean never.

So, if the crime was serious enough and you would tell the police, your answer is yes.

You are not forced to vote either.
  12. Life is never that black or white, particularly for complex issues. Nor should polls be, as it suggests that all the voters have an extreme view one way or the other.

yes / no responses are suitable for questions like "have you ever eaten vanilla ice cream", not "would you bring the full force of the law on your family".
  13. Incidentally, I have eaten vanilla ice cream. And it was delicious.
  14. ...sif get those scumbags involved.

Find me a cop who is honest, reasonable, unbiased and I might think about telling them.
  15. Find me a motorcyclist who is not a hoon....

I have met a few good cops over the years who have helped me out no end, and lets say my upbringing was not the best...

If the crime were murder or ****, physical violence etc I would not hesitate to contact the police, and if it was you or your family on the receiving end you would probably thank me.
  16. So that's a yes TRA?
  17. I should clarify that I didn't mean I distrust all cops. I definitely believe the majority are good, honourable people who do a difficult and thankless job well. But as the discussion of the taser cowards in WA shows, there are enough bad eggs attracted to the power of the job... and if you dob in your kid you din't get to choose your officers...
  18. A no from Bravus then.