Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Do you wear a pressure suit on the roads?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by fizmotech, Apr 18, 2008.

1. I know mostly used by dirt bike riders, but do any road riders use them?

Are they resistant to abrasion, ie do they protect from gravel rash.

I would think if they were designed not to rip in the mesh sections they would do away with the need for leathers !?

2. The armour provides abrasion resistance, the bits in between don't. Pretty good, but rest assured if the asphalt can find skin it will. I certainly wouldnt use it without leather for anything over 100.

3. would be ok for 50kms?

would be so good if they had some kind of mesh that was abrasion resistant !

imagine not having to wear leathers !

4. Some motard riders wear armour and jersey only on the asphalt (with leather pants), but I think it's crazy. Though I do crash a lot.

Better than nothing, not as good as leather. Your call from there.

5. There are mesh jackets for summer road riding. I'm not sure how crashable they are.

They usually have all the CE armour, and put proper cordura or nylon over the critical areas... lighter mesh and/or other breathable abrasion-resistant materials in the less critical areas.

I'd like to get one, as my all-weather waterproof Spidi R-Type is good most of the time but on the really hot days it can be a bit toasty.

6. IMO they're the worst of both worlds. Limited and usually poorly fitting armour (compared to pressure suit or good leathers), and very poor abrasion resistance (compared to leather).

Maybe I didnt try enough though..

7. I couldn't say... They've gotta be safer than a Corona singlet though. :grin:

Offtopic (but not), Bikebiz is having a 50% off sale on the Planet Knox Sports-cross armour undersuit... very much like the undersuits the moto-cross guys wear. I'm tempted, as I've never been 100% happy with the "fit" of the removable CE armour in my all-weather jacket, and I do want to get a real class-2 backprotector.

8. I have a Dainese Mesh Jacket and the amour sits really well. I'd say it holds it's place better than my Motodry does, but I tried every jacket in two shops before I made my choice. And of all of the jackets I tried this one was the only one that fit properly.
    So I’d say be really picky and make sure you get the right one for your body shape