Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Do you trust your mechanic?

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' at netrider.net.au started by philland23, Oct 28, 2009.

1. I scored a puncture a few weeks ago that required a mushroom, so I took it to my local Yamaha dealer to have it fixed.
    Repaired the puncture well and still going......only one problem.
    Noticed the chain needed some adjustment and went to fix it up.
    1. The rear nut was so tight that I had to jump on a spanner to release it.
    2. It was set uneven by the mechanic when they replaced the wheel.

Being new to bikes ( on my L's for 2 mths now ) I don't pick up on things as well as a veteran rider. I had noticed my rear skipping on corners, I had put it to hard compound and me leaning a bit more.

Well...I approached them about this and they say that how would I know...not being a mechanic.

So if you want a mechanic / dealership that dont care about their clients...go to Frankston Yamaha. I'm sure they will be happy to charge you for dogey workmanship.

Anyone that can recommend a good bike mechanic around the Frankston area...would love to know.

2. Of all the things about which I could complain about the several mechanics who've worked on my bike over the last nearly 5 years, failure to adjust the chain properly (or not do up the adjusters properly, leading to them coming off altogether) would be right at the top of the list. What is it that causes mechanics to switch off the brain before the job is finished?

3. I trust my mechanics and have used them since I have owned my current bike
    (8 years now)

4. In the last 20 years, I have had 3 mechanics only, and I have been delighted with all of them. The first was the meticulous Rick Miller of RAM Motorcycle Engineering in Canberra. I'd still be using him if I hadn't moved away from the ACT.

Down here I used Steve at MaxPower Performace Cycles in the northern suburbs of Wollongong for the first couple of years of living here. The same meticulous attention to detail was exhibited by that shop as well.

However, taking my bike over town for a service ended up being nearly an all-day job with long train journeys on the way home and again on the way back to pick up the bike.

So I now use K&D Motorcycles at Yallah, just down the road. I've been delighted with the service and the prices at this new, little shop and certainly plan to keep going there.

I can't explain my luck, but I sure am grateful that I have had such terrific people to look after my bikes over the years.

5. 1 Crap wages
    2 Lack of advancement in career
    3 Lack of training
    4 Store owners/managers who dont see any value in the workshop side of the business so dont invest in it with special tools or equiptment.

I could fill this page with the reasons why and having been working in bike shops for over 20 years Im speaking from experiance. Its only my passion for bikes that keeps me doing this job and starting up my own workshop is one of the best things I've ever done. Im much happier that Im not working in one of the over charging and under caring stores that seem to have a strangle hold on the motorcycle industry at the moment in Australia.

6. The mechanic I use opened shop at the same time I got my license - so I thought it was an act of fate or something.

He's an older guy who spent his career as a team mechanic for 'trackers (speedway bikes). He aims at the ATV/off-road/agricultural side of things but given the lack of good bike mechanics around here he also sees his fair share of road bikes.

Yandina Motorcycles & Atvs

7. Hey E2W, Where abouts are ya?

By the sounds of your post I'd send my bike for its next service your way if your local :wink:

edit: Just saw your homepage..... I get what E2W is now.

8. +1 on the service at MaxPower. A great example of professional service. I do trust them, but I still look over the bike when I pick it up from them.

9. Everything 2 Wheels: www.everythingtwowheels.com.au

10. I trust only myself!

Sometimes, this proves to be a mistake. But at least I know my f****ps!

11. Generally I don't trust mechanics, that's why I service my own, but in this case it may not be as bad as it seems.

1. How do you know it was uneven? Did you string-line the bike? The markings on a bikes swing arm are not to be trusted.
    2. You should almost need an extension bar to release your main axle bolt(if that is the one you are talking about).

12. +1 for tight axle - it's kind of important that it stays done up...

13. I have been dealing with Sis friom Sjay motorcycles. he is a one man show but he is good. cant fault his workmanship and if your bike needs something he tells you straight away rather than change it and tell you later.

Now he has a dyno which has just boosted up his clientel to also include race tuning.

14. +1. The only time I have taken my bike to a mechanic was to Sjay, & he sorted everything.

The follow up call a couple of weeks later was a pleasant surprise too!

To the OP, if you are going off the marking of the swingarm rather than the actual alingment, they can tell two very different stories.

If it was crap service, don't go back. Get a workshop manual & learn the basics yourself, at least enough to be able to spot if something is wrong before you ride the bike away from a mechanic. & more importantly, before you pay.

15. i'm a big fan of DIY, but when it turns to custard, i can recommend Dean & Jason from Dynoverks. Fantastic service, workmanship, and happy to explain any and everything.... great for technical nerds like myself.

definitely trust them, and will happily leave the bike (YZF-R1) with them again to get work done.

16. So you stringlined the bike did you? You didnt seriously count the marks on the swing arm did you?

The axel nut on my bike is spec'd at 72ft/lband if you're any smaller than me you'll be needing a breaker bar (and quality socket).

You're new to bikes by your own admission so what makes you an expert?
    Confidence in a shop is one thing. Bagging a shop through ignorance is another.

Did they fix the puncture correctly?

17. first off the rear axel nut should be pretty tight. needs a good crank with a long socket handle to undo.

secondly Do everything you can your self.

If you need a yamaha dealer go to yamaha city, elizabeth st. They are great guys and have looked after me several times.

If you dont need a dealer and can get hold of the elusive pete the pom then take it in to e2w