Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Do you think "L" car drivers should have education

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by ward_4e, May 3, 2006.

1. I read a thread on a 70yr old cutting off a rider and it got me thinking, its too late to educate him. What about the leaner crowd? I'm not saying stick everyone on a bike as part of their course, although in therory it may just be a great idea. Educate them on the theory part of the course. Give them a greater understanding of both sides of the metal skin? The theory involved in our L's and advanced courses are great for roadcraft just as a refference.

Make the practical component and extra fee if they want a dual "L" licence but make the theory roadcraft component of the motorcycle leaners manditory. The drivers roadcraft is just way way to basic and we are seeing the mistakes all the damn time. How many of us get cut off? looked at and then t-boned? or lost in the "oh I didn't see you" ignorant driver excuse?

Make them aware as riders on the road and we will get better drivers. Give them a greater understanding of how vunerable people are on bikes are, and in the off chance we may just get a few more riders! or a lot less crunched friends.

Sound good?