Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Do you smoke?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by moog, Oct 27, 2007.

1. YES

2. NO

0 vote(s)
  1. Wondering who does and doesn't out of interest.

2. Nope, have never even tried it. Every addiction starts with the first attempt.
  3. Reallly?? :p

We talking about tobacco??

Tried it, didn't like it.

Helps when you're a stingy F$#@%er :LOL:
  4. Literalist!!! I didn't mean that if you start you WILL be addicted, just that you CAN'T be addicted if you DON'T start :p.
  5. Hehe yes I was just being an asshat. Addiction to tobacco IMO is either a conscious choice or just a weak will.

6. I do. Tried quitting a few times but fell off the wagon.

Now that the weather is getting better, Ill be out running alot more and will quit for sure! (no i mean it!!)

for someone who works out 5 days a week, its pretty poor form to smoke. BUT i will quit. Oh yes. I will quit!
  7. i do, and whilst i feel that i should give up, i cant bring myself to doing it.
    i'm no quitter! :LOL:
  8. Used to, quit last year. took 27 years though.
  9. Quit about 2 years ago after kiddies were born.
  10. i get into a bit. i love having a smoke and a beer.. i enjoy smoking. ill quit eventually i guess but right now have no such plans at all.
  11. Started smoking at 12 years of age (now 36) and quit 2 years 10 months and 27 days ago.

Can only remember because was a new years resolution. \:D/
  12. Never even taken a puff and thats the truth.
  13. time for a smoke i reckon.... :LOL:
  14. Actually, tobacco addition is the same as any other drug addiction, gambling addiction, etc, etc. It's a lot less about the substance / activity itself and a whole lot more about the intrinsic reward systems in the brain. That's the hard bit to overcome. It has litte to do with willpower. If it was only about conscious choice, then giving up a habit would be easy as piss.
  15. Will power isn't about being able to make the decision, its having the personal fortitude to carry it out. Reward system or no, if you have the will power you can untrain yourself from such habits :cool:
  16. Nup don't smoke.

I'm the only one out of my mates from school who doesn't smoke. I'm the "uncool" one, who doesn't stink :)
  17. I smoked for several years and quit for good several months ago.
    One day I decided not to smoke anymore because i knew it was damaging me and there are no advantages to smoking. I want to be healthy when I get older, I want to be the healthiest and best I can possibly be.

It helps that I don't really hang around people who smoke much anymore because I tell you if all the people you hang around smoke you will most probably end up smoking too.
  18. Not now, but smoked for near on 40 years -- up to 70 a day at one stage (Winston -- tastes good like a cigarette should)

Gave up at noon, 22 September 2001. It was raining.

Just as well I gave up I suppose -- made recovering from the triple CABG three years later a bit easier! :shock:

There are still days -- few and far between -- when I would kill for a smoke.
  19. Yours is a very oversimplified rationalisation of what addiction is and what forces combine to make it so.

There is a plethora of addiction research and a US national institute that begs to differ. http://www.nida.nih.gov/index.html A PubMed search for "addiction" and "systematic review" found over 2,500 reviews of primary research on addiction, and that was only the English language! Surely if it's just "willpower" then there are a lot of researchers wasting everyone's time.

Then there's the journals "Addiction Journal", "Tobacco Control", "Drug and Alcohol Dependence", "Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment", "Psychology of Addictive Behaviours", "American Journal on Addictions", "Drug and Alcohol Review", etc, etc, etc. Surely if all we're talking about is "willpower" then all these authors and editors are just wasting their time. Subscribers to those journals and health professionals who use these journals to evidence new treatment methodologies must all be ignorant, because all it takes is "willpower".

Here's one of the more coherent explanations about addiction and this "reward system". http://www.hbo.com/addiction/understanding_addiction/12_pleasure_pathway.html

Did you know that the American Psychiatric Association lists Addiction Disorders in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for the classification of Mental Disorders (DSM IV)? They say it is a disease, manifested by definite behavioural traits and cognitive processes. PET scanning of addicts brains shows discernible changes to structure and function.

You wouldn't tell a schizophrenic to use "willpower" to cure their disease, would you? How about someone with anxiety? "Get over it" just doesn't work I'm afraid. The same for addiction. Whilst some may succeed in abstinence with no assistance, the evidence points to an enormous relapse rate across all substance addictions, showing that "willpower" alone just doesn't work for the majority.

You have probably guessed my professional affiliation by now. I hate it when people understate the significance of addiction by saying it's all about "willpower". Just like people who say suicide is "the chickens way out", etc. They really have no clue.
  20. I've given up giving up :oops: