Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

do you ride "blind" around curves?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by jeffatav, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Bored at work watching the excavators ripping sandstone to bits.

How far can you see around corners?

That was the question asked by our HART instructor.

What he was getting to was how fast can you go around bends etc

We have all sped past the yellow speed advisory signs and scoffed at how slow the intended speed is.

Our HART instructor was the first person to ever explain these speeds to me and he said "if you travel around the bend at the advised speed, you will have 5 seconds of reaction time available"

So as we all zoom around these corners faster than the recommended speed, we are accepting a shorter reaction time/space for an emergency situation than the 5 second stop.

Say we come around a blind corner to a totally blocked road, do we have enough time and space to set up, stand up and brake?

Do we all just accept that risk, or trust our evasive skills if needed?

2. Will sit on or below the advisory sign especially if I dont know the road or wet weather.

3. I tend to allow enough time to hopefully launch myself off the pegs and fly over whatever obstical is infront of me. :grin:
    Normally I'll ad about another 1/2 again on the yellow signs, and it's work for me several times to avoid cars well over the white line(twice) and half a tree(Had to stad it up and brake HARD!!!) on my good old trusty GPX 250.

4. Hey rooboy,
    is that performed in the pike position?????

5. Well, we all ride "blind" around corners we can't see through, but what you're getting at is do we as individuals go more quickly than we can see and react in time to stop.

The answer is that it depends on one's experience and understanding of what the bike can do.

Recently I rounded a ~70kph posted blind corner as quickly as I normally would, only to find an articulated milk tanker right across both lanes as well as covering the road shoulders right on the exit of the corner. I didn't even have gravel as an option to choose from, it was either the tanker or the trees.

Since I ride at the track occasionally, I'm aware to some extent of how much traction I have even when leaned over, and on the road I never ride to more than ~80% of what I judge the bike to be capable of handling through a corner. The moment I saw the tanker and overcame my initial shock/assessment that there really was no-where to go, I gently applied the front brakes and gradually squeezed them tighter and tighter as the bike both slowed and I stood it up slowly, and then aimed towards what I viewed was my best chance of a soft-landing to the side of the road.

While I was braking fairly heavily the tanker kept on moving and turning itself into the drive-way it was trying to get into, and some of the road shoulder and ultimately some bitumen became available, and I relaxed the brakes and skirted around the back of the tanker.

Had the tanker not moved, I would have likely hit it at ~20-30kph, although thinking back I was deliberately choosing to aim at the rear of the tanker in the hope that it would move. If it wasn't going to move I would've chosen a differently trajectory that made the corner exit more shallow and given me more braking power and more bitumen to stop in time, which I most likely would have.

All of the above happened in the space of about 3 to 4 seconds from initial sighting of the tanker to round the rear of it, covering maybe 80m of road in that time.

My post-incident analysis was that whilst I do enjoy a fairly sporting ride around corners, the speed, braking distances, and reaction time was still such that even in this bad case scenario I would've still been okay and just had a low-speed off.

I figure that it's much like how I approach the rest of my life. If I worry about every single thing that could go wrong, I'd never leave the house. There is always some inherent risk in any action you undertake, and if the bad case scenario is a few bumps and scratches then that's what I deem to be an acceptable level of risk for some activity.

Worst case scenario would've been two tankers side by side in both lanes coming head-on at speed, but in that scenario it likely wouldn't matter even if I was doing the advised speed limit or not.

6. :rofl: with a three quarter front somersault.

7. Well I usually take corners at 2 times the speed advisory limit, just cos that is where I am comfortable, still now that I know what they are there for, maybe I should slow down a little... On second thoughts maybe not. I'll take my reduced reaction time window and hope for the best. :eek:

I mean I've had some close calls in the past. But there still seems to be enough time to pull up.

8. All the time. A few years ago I tried opening my eyes and, man, I almost shit. So I find that riding with my eyes closed - around bends, on straights, lane splitting - much more relaxing. And we all know tht a relaxed rider is a safe rider.

Now that I have a girlfriend, she does a great job of guiding me in twisty bits. We went for a blast on the GOR recently and had a great time. I love the look of the 12 Apostles, so I poked a postcard inside my helmet to get that "eyes closed when they're open" feel. Those postcard are so lifelike, you could almost be there.

Touring is starting to get tough because my eye muscles get tired. I've just found a place that does iridium visors with the reflective surface on the inside. The best thing is, cagers can see me swearing at them, but I can't see them. Works great 'coz it saves me from geting angry 'n stuff.

9. Having just started on twisties... do you think I dare look down at my speedo?!

10. :rofl: hey chairman,
    really funny stuff.
    another way of riding blind is to drink heaps of bourbon, even intraveniously!!!!!!
    keeping me from the boredom
    jeff

11. old rule of thumb was we took the corners posted in kph at the same in mph.

60kph taken at 60mph

heck you only live once.......... after att its just an advisory sign.

12. I wouldn't ride while I'm blind. It's just a bit too dangerous for my taste, but I like to get a few cans under my belt before I go. :wink:

:rofl:

13. I tend to feel fairly comfortable doing corners posted as 50 at 80 or so... in the dry in good conditions... but yeah, I recognise that this reduces the margin for error in case of something catastrophic being around the corner. At that speed I feel as though I still have heaps of room to move on the actual cornering... it feels like about 3-4/10 to me with my skills on my bike... and if it's something dodgeable I'd be fine. But sheesh, that whole 'tanker right across the road' thing has me thinking again.

14. Just use one camel-back (on your back) with Bourbon and another with coke (on your front), and just use both in your mouth at the one time. Then when you come off it will be like having an air-bag on your front and back. You'll be fine... unless your a quick drinker. :)

15. In the same way that a scalded cat is "fairly sporting"! :LOL:

16. 5 seconds reaction time for stationary objects perhaps. When was the last time you came around a corner and that car coming the other way half in your lane was just stopped and looking at the view?

Cathar's is a good example of training to avoid, not necessarily just stop infront, of an obstacle.

17. Do I ride blind round corners? of course I do! I also chew razor blades for fun and and play Russian roulette with five loaded chambers...........

18. yep I find riding blind around corners is great for relaxation... a bit of yoga & meditation helps while cornering through the real twisty stuff :p

5 loaded chambers :shock: damn I normally only play with 1... think I'll have to up the excitement :LOL:

19. A good point :!: Me to. I rarely look at the speedo going into corners, mainly only on the way out. I look at the advisory sign as an indication of the difficulty of the corner. If I've been doing 70Km/h corners at a comfortable clip, and a posted 40Km/h comes along, I know to pull on those anchors hard. :grin:

On good roads I seem to take corners at about 150% of the marked speed, but on some up to around 170%, and some others at the marked speed. I nearly had an off on a 40Km/h corner last Tuesday on the way up to Baw Baw, as the road, while well cambered with good grip, was rough, and my front wheel skipped sideways about 50cm. I was only doing about 45Km/h on that one.

20. On the other hand, I do tend to quickly check the speedo, 'cos it's very easy to be doing 90 when you think you're doing 80 or whatever and not discoverit otherwise until you're deep in the corner. Being aware of my speed is healthy.