Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Do you put your left or right foot down?

Discussion in 'Scooters' started by Rob_SA_Scoot, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Hi

When you stop do you put your left or right foot down?

I guess people who ride geared bikes and scooters probably put their left foot down because their right foot is on the brake pedal, but for we twist and go scooterists the ground is closer under your right foot (because of the road camber).

Your thoughts?
  2. depends, I remember this being a question on the l's test in vic... the correct answer was the left foot, as your right foot should be on the brake. I generally take off (even hill starts) with the front brake - so most of the time I'll put both feet down.
  3. I put the bike into neutral with the left foot, leave the foot on the footpeg, hold the bike still with the hand brake and put the right foot down. That way I'm ready to shift into first, roll off the brake and onto the power.

It's funny though, because until yesterday when someone raised this issue on the forum I'd never even thought about which foot I put down. 30+ years of riding and it never occured to me. Weird, eh?

I guess if the experts say it's wrong I'll have to go on being wrong cos it's too much of a habit to change now!
  4. I must say that I mostly put my left foot down and keep my right foot on the brake if there is a hill involved. On flat roads and on lights with long rotations, I put both feet down, and do some stretching exercises!
  5. Interesting huh? I wonder if the original inventors of motorbikes worried about road camber when they decided where to put the brake and gear pedals? I'm guessing motorbikes were invented by the Brits so it would have made sense to reverse the pedals... then again if they were invented in Europe or the US the opposite configuration makes sense. I'm sure there's a bike historian who'll let us know!
  6. The brake and gear lever used to be the other way around on early bikes.
  7. Well, on the very early bikes, the gear lever WAS a lever on the side of the tank and you changed gear with your HAND.
  8. been doing that for more than 30 years
    it was way we taught back then....

but what about hills you say???
    the above forces you to put it in gear BEFORE you use the foot brake
    for the hill start

of course
    NONE of us have done hillstarts with the bike in neutral..... :LOL:
  9. I remember a mate of my Dad having an old ex US army Harley with the gear lever on the tank.. monster of a thing when I was about 8 years old! Where was the brake pedal?
  10. i have, its just a little harder when your going UP the hill :LOL:
  11. The now common left foot change thing comes from some american regulation back in the 70's (maybe 60s or early 80's).

So, because the american market is so big and no one else really cares, everybody now makes left foot changes.
  12. A systm I've heard many a MC officianado refer to as a "suicide shift"
  13. Rob as far as I recall the brake pedal was still a pedal, on the right I believe.

And yes, the reversal of the pedal was a late '60's thing when Honda, in particular, was trying to get a foothold (bwhuahahaahaha) in the Yankee market.

Yes, hill starting is a little different.
  14. I'm new to riding (and forums), but I was talking to a bike cop friend who said they put the bike in first coming up to an intersection and put their left foot down with their right foot controlling the brake giving better slow riding control
  15. I'll put either foot down depending on my mood, and sometimes both (especially when there is a high wind coming from the side i have my foot down on).
  16. Yeah i remember seeing an old 40's-50's ish WLA i think like that
  17. Left foot down , right foot resting on back brake if there's an incline , if not then i'll just rest it on a peg. I always leave it in gear in case some dipshit doesn't realise im there , i dont want to waste time putting it in gear and taking off . 1 second can make all the difference.
  18. If you check your motorcycle encyclopaedias you will find that nearly all motorcycles had hand operated gear changes in the early days. After all, cars had them so bike manufacturers followed suit.
  19. I've tried putting my foot down at home, but it hasn't worked yet!!!!!!!!!!
  20. I follow the above generally speaking but if there's a decent cross wind coming from the left then i'll switch to right or both feet.