Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Do you need a bigger bike?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by jphanna, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Guys i am not one of the people on here with decades of experience on Mbikes. I have only had 3 mbikes in my life, since 2010.

At the time i learnt on a 250 mini cruiser. i am a smallish person so it was a perfect for me. the people that i rode with, that were also learners, or restricted licences, all waited with bated breath for the chance to finally ditch the learner tag, and buy a REAL bike.....one with big cc's.

i went along with it and also bought a big mbike at 800cc and 270KG. trouble is, i never connected with the M50. it was 100% reliable, good looking, great sound, great power, but i didnt feel as 'one' with the mbike. i didnt connect with it as much as my baby cruiser.

i had a chance to ride another baby cruiser over the last year and i always felt that my

were in question on the bigger mbike. people that know me know that i was never going to be on the upper level of the skills and ability pecking order, so why buy a bigger bike to be overwhelmed with it? what was I trying to prove?

I sold my M50 this week and just picked up a new baby cruiser again.

i am back where i belong, a light managable mbike thats make me feel as 'ONE' with my machine. I am stoked, and I don’t care if people laugh because its a 250.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Do what feels right!
  3. As long as your smiling when u ride it that's all that matters mate. I don't "need" my 1000, I rarely have the balls to give it full throttle, it scares me, my riding skills probably embarrass it but gee it's fun ;-) ..
  4. ^ Good to hear you've not been overcome by the "wank factor" that most guys suffer from these days. IMO thats why there are so many Hayabusa's on the road... It's just another cock comparison really half the time.

You're exactly right. Pick a bike that suits what riding your going to be doing and what you like looks and function wise that you enjoy riding. I don't think I'd ever have a 1000cc because they're too big and too much to handle for me and I dont need something that expensive and big. I've ridden an R1 and hated the seating position on it along with how heavy and tall it was. It was a bit intimidating for me.

I actually feel a bit the same about the 600's hence why I like the idea of 400 & 500 bikes, they're smaller so suit my smaller and not so strong height and frame, esp being a woman and for the most part, I dont ride the wheels off the 250 ive got even so why do I need 600cc +? I rarely even ride at 100 either due to being in the city and just cruise round the streets most of the time so again, no need for a big bike for me.

Like I said in the Sumoto thread about the RVF's, it was pointed out they're more a race style bike, which is def something I dont want or need, so I'd like to get a CBR500r for my next bike because I want something new but affordable/cheap, thats fuel injected, has ABS (all the mods cons) and thats easily rider friendly like my CBR250r that has got enough accelleration to keep up with others on group rides but thats not nuts or unreliable. Thats if I don't get out of the bikes altogether so I can afford an Evo.

I salute you sir :)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. If you never plan to go outside an 80km/h area for any great distance you will be fine. Highway riding on a 250cc cruiser can be quite scary and overtaking is difficult.

Each to their own. If you love it, ride it :)
  6. I test rode a CBR500R at Bills a couple of months ago, loved it. Supply is the major issue, they are selling like hot cakes.

Around the city my old Virago was great, just ordinary in the hills with a big bastard sitting on it!!
  7. [
    after 3 years we have our preferred roads. they are 90% adelaide hills with many hairpins and constant cornering. very little long distance in a straight line. the only time we do straight roads is with the adelaide cruiser club, and they ride in strict formation and dont go a sniff over 100kph. we are covered.......

8. I'd love to test ride one, Peter Stevens never has demo's but. I wanted to test ride my 250 before I bought it and they didn't have any but a guy I spoke to out the front had one and said get one, they're great bikes, heaps of fun, you won't regret it. I did and I don't!

Might have to take a trip to Bills...

Must be doing something right if they're selling like hotcakes. Not bad for a bike "made out of the scrap bin" *rolls eyes* :D
  9. For what it's worth, I think you have done the right thing - gone for a bike that suits YOU and YOUR circumstances.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. #10 trojanhorse, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2013

Pity not everyone can see that a lot of the time...

All I say is beware before some joker comes along here and tells you you shouldn't have gone back to one those because your reasons aren't valid cause they can't understand them... :/

Do what you want to do at the end of the day and fcuk all the haters and know-it-alls.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. If you're happy on 250 then fair enough.

But to answer the question you pose in the title. Yes, right now I do need a bigger bike than a 250. Why? Because on many occasions I carry an 80kg pillion plus gear.

In a year or so when he has his own bike or doesn't want to pillion with me anymore, and assuming my wife is capable of riding her own bike for more than 100km at a time without being in pain (fingers crossed), I won't need very big bike and will seriously consider a bike smaller than 1000cc. However if my wife is incapable of riding distances I may need to consider getting something bigger again.
  12. ^ As Tas Man said, picking something thats suitable for your own capabilities/needs and circumstances.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. #13 b12mick, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    Couldn't agree more.

However you saying

kind of invites people to have a go at you.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. I find that a 650 is more than enough to keep a smile on my face and ahead of the traffic if I so choose and feel no need for anything bigger. My moto-peen is quite capable of losing me my licence if I let it get the best of me with the power it has, I don't need more. If I was touring long distance two up with luggage then maybe I'd want a little more torque for hills etc, but with just my fat arse it got plenty.
    Having a bike that fits you (height, reach, weight etc) is more important, IMHO, than having "mo power". A good rider on a decent 250 can embarrass a mediocre rider on a much bigger bike in the twisty stuff, and to be honest most people are mediocre riders.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. I had to make this decision a few months ago. I was riding a 659 Monster and wanted the extra power because I do alot of long distance riding to see family.

I bought a 1000RR as my daily commuter and never looked back.
  16. For the most part I'd agree with you. However, there are those select individuals who are lucky enough to live on the doorstep of some of the best riding roads in the county which also means going up some rather steep inclines. For them, if they are of ample size, a 250 just doesn't cut the mustard, even some of the less powerful 750cc bikes don't cut the mustard.
  17. As someone who rides a mile or two, power is not what makes a good touring bike. Riding position and comfort are eminently more important. Check out the bikes Iron Butt and Farriders use...
  18. #18 trojanhorse, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2013
    Yeah i know and not everyone is like that but there are you gonna deny theres guys out there like that?

Turns out you get shot at anyway no matter what you say, so whatevs.
  19. Won't deny it, can't deny it.

Just like there's wankers who buy 250's because it's cheaper than a car, but then carry on with their carcentric views, telling motorcyclists that riding a 1000cc sports bike is just a cock pulling competition.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Riding position comfort is a very individual thing. I'm far more comfortable on an R1 than I am on any cruiser with forward controls.

How much comfort is there for my 80kg, 176cm pillion on a 250cc cruiser?

I'll tell you, NONE, ZERO, ZIP, ZILCH.