Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Do you mix your keys?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by smileedude, Aug 12, 2012.

?
  1. Keep them seperated.

45 vote(s)
    66.2%
  2. Let them scratch the paint around the ignition.

11 vote(s)
    16.2%
  3. Keep them seperated for riding then re-attach.

6 vote(s)
    8.8%
  4. Have an ingenious solution.

6 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. Right, so having gone from scooter to bike one thing is bugging me. On the scooter all my keys were together. This wasn't a problem as it all dangled and didn't cause a problem.

I pick up the new bike, put the new key in it's new home with all the other keys. Put it in the ignition and rode it home. After about 100 m I realised this isn't what you do, removed the key from its new friends and have kept them seperated ever since.

Now this leaves me with a problem. Being a dopey bugger, I have already left the bike key in the bike in the garage a couple times. I instinctively do the phone wallet keys check every now and again and wont go far with out one of the 3 but having the 4th makes it a bit easy to forget. Also I can't get in to the house or office without the keys.

Does everyone grin and bare this problem? Or do you cope with the jiggle and the key scratch or have you come up with an ingenious method like a key mitten that stops this so you can keep your keys together in one big happy family? I know some people detach for riding and reattach after but I don't know if this will stop the forgetting issue.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I keep mine separate.

But I want one of those 'key mittens'.

3. On the KLR650 I let them scratch the area around the ignition, it's a trail bike/ADV bike and it's got more scratches to worry about than a little bit around the ignition.

On the Harley I've got a remote fob so I don't need to put a key into a slot, I just walk near the bike and the RF disables the alarm and enables the ignition automatically so it isn't an issue.

4. Reminds me of a story.

A friend of mine uses the number system. When he leaves the house he counts all his items. Keys, wallet, phone = 3. So he spends the day remembering '3'. Means he doesn't have to bother remembering the specific items, just remember that he has 3.

Problems arrise if anyone gives him something during the day. On more than one occasion he has left his laptop behind in a cafe after someone has given him an extra item.

To answer for question, my bike key is always separate.

5. I only have my bike key coupled to my disc lock key, the rest go in my backpack. One thing I have trouble with is finding a place to store the swipe card I use to get into the work carpark, bloody pain in the ass. I've resulted to stuffing in the arm of my jacket

6. #6 smileedude, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  7. I was hoping this was going to be a "do you mix/swap keys in a bowl at a party" type thread.

Ausfox.

P.S. To answer your question my bike key is separate.

• Like Like x 1
  8. How about using a kangaroo scrotum pouch? You could come up with all sorts of tall tales about how you obtained such an object.

Easy to find too - just go to any purveyor of tasteless souvenirs.

9. #9 smileedude, Aug 12, 2012
    Well that is a bonus of keeping the keys seperated. Throw both sets of keys in the bowl and if you don't like the first option you can get another lucky dip.

• Like Like x 1
  10. you will get one of these Smilee with your helmet when it arrives

[​IMG][/IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  11. What if he doesn't smoke.

• Like Like x 1
  12. #12 smileedude, Aug 12, 2012
    Very nice tak, can you embroid the logo on a kangaroo scrotum?

13. You'll get the hang of it, smileedude. Get in the habit of pulling the key out when you put the steering lock on.

14. Or you could take both.

Ausfox.

• Like Like x 1
  15. its incentive to start

16. #16 Takamii, Aug 12, 2012
    RHOK Balls ?

• Like Like x 1
  17. #17 smileedude, Aug 12, 2012
    Thats a winner right there.
    Rhok balls, too much ball for one scrotum.

18. General and bike keys always separated. And the bikes security fob is separate again.

19. #19 smileedude, Aug 12, 2012
    I've mainly left them under the seat because I've been getting the tools out and tinkering a bit. But I will be using the helmet locks so there will still be this potential.

20. noimagetitle.JPG

:). That said ive only got a bike key, seat key and garage door opener on it.

• Like Like x 1